When You're Spending The Summer Without Your Best Friend

The summer is long, but the distance between us is longer.

4
Katie Treadway

To my best friend,

First off, let me tell you how proud I am of you for going out and conquering the world. You are where God has called you to be this summer; I only wish you were closer to home. While I'm sure being a camp counselor has many perks, the lack of time, extreme heat, and absence of your cellular device does not fall on that list.

And I realize we are apart every summer because we live so far away, but this year is different. I wish you had cell reception, I wish I could Snapchat you every day, I wish we could binge watch all of our favorite shows together, and I wish I could Skype you to tell you all the details of my very boring summer.

It didn't hit me until we lost our 3-month Snapchat streak that you had left for the summer. And when we lost our pink best friend hearts, I knew this summer was going to be a long one. I don't see your face every day anymore. I know you are staying busy and I'm at home doing my own thing, but it's hard going from literally spending every day together to not seeing you at all.

I love it when you have service and are able to send me a quick pic of your Fitbit tan, or when you take your break in the staff cabin and we get in a quick convo. These moments are rare, but I'll take what I can get.

After the first exciting thing that happened to me this summer, I wanted to call you and tell you all about it. I knew you wouldn't be able to answer, so I ended up telling my dog all about the excitement and his reaction paled in comparison to what your's would have been.

Sure, I have other friends here or there that I could have called, but they wouldn't understand like you would. They don't get me as well as you do. They can't read my thoughts with one simple look and they don't know every detail of all of my past experiences. They wouldn't be able to share in the excitement like you would.

When I needed your fashion advice, I couldn't send a quick text to you because you weren't on the other end. I had to trust my mom's advice. (I doubt I'll be wearing that outfit in public). I could always count on you to tell me that I don't really need that or help me pick out matching shoes...that you would probably borrow later.

I know your birthday is coming up and I can't ask you about what you want and I can't tease you about how perfect my gift is anyways. I don't even know if you'll be home to receive it, but I'm going to send it regardless.

The worst thing is that after I catch up on all of our favorite shows, you are not going to be there to see how much I cried or how low my jaw has dropped from the cliff-hanger you know is about to happen. We couldn't share are reactions to the "Riverdale" finale or the PLL finale coming up. I can't gush to you about this new TV show I found that you need to watch ASAP.

This summer has been harder than the rest. I have barely seen or heard from you due to your busy schedule. When school starts and we are reunited, I know we will be closer than ever. We will have three months of stories, relationships, experiences, trials, and excitement to share with one another. I miss you dearly. See you in the fall, love!