To The Friend I Expected The Least But Cherish The Most

You're the kind of friend people actively pray for.

34
Sarah Wagner

Oh Swamp Thing, where do I even begin?

Just 4 months ago I didn't even know of your existence, but now I can't imagine life without you!

When we first met, life was going pretty good! I had my degree, a full-time job that I loved (even more now that you're there), I was still running my blog, and I pretty much had everything I could ever want.

It's one thing to meet someone when you're at a low point in their life and that person changes their life for the better, but it's on a whole different level when you think you've got it all but God decided to make life better than it already was by giving me you!

When I first started going to poetry, I was mainly expecting to get back to doing what I love and growing as a writer surrounded by amazing people that share my passion.

I wasn't expecting to meet my best friend, but God has a sense of humor and a way of making things happen!

I knew we would be close after the Renaissance festival. You didn't know this at the time (which you do now), but I was battling an undiagnosed (now diagnosed) mental illness that greatly affected my ability to function.

Because of this, I didn't really allow myself to go out and have fun with friends.

However, for the first time in forever I was able to have fun.

On our way back to your car, I told you I "hadn't felt anything in forever, but I felt today". You wrapped me in a giant hug, and I knew you were a keeper!

I cannot tell you how much you've contributed to my life.

Thank you for everything you've done. Thank you for the trips to the coffee shop that were supposed to be "writing sessions" but ended up being deep talks.

Thank you for the fun nights in Cinco Ranch. Thank you for the holiday gifts and random treats here and there just because.

Thank you for the sleepovers, dinners and car rides.

Most importantly, thank you for being there for me when I can't even be there for my own self.

As you know, the diagnosis hit me hard. Every day is a struggle in one way or another, and sometimes life just gets to be too much.

Having someone that's willing to drive all the way to your house, pick you up and take you out for a day of fun simply because your brain decides to be mean definitely eases the burden.

Thank you for sticking with me through it all-the mood swings, the abandonment days, the frantic phone calls, you name it.

Thank you for being on this earth. Your name isn't "Angel" by coincidence; you are meant to be here.

The friendship we've built and will continue to build is absolutely priceless!

"Only priceless? You can't afford not to buy it!"

I love you more than you'll ever know, and I'll see you tomorrow!