'Friday The 13th: The Game' Is The Best Movie-Driven Video Game Yet
Games

A game review.

14

In "Friday The 13th: The Game," players are divided into two balanced teams: the seven counselors against the machete-wielding psycho himself, Jason Vorhees. Trust me, while going up against Jason Vorhees, this is balanced. On the counselor side, your goal is to escape the clutches of Jason by escaping through any means necessary with your option of boat, vehicle, the authorities, or trying to survive the time limit in the round. But it's not so easy as it sounds. Nothing is easy while Jason's around.

Each one of these tasks requires multiple steps to pull them off, which makes the game much more entertaining and tense by giving Jason time to hunt down his victims. Each map has the items randomly generated to be scattered across the maps. When you start the game as a counselor, you always gamble with the chance that you could die within the first five minutes of the game. If you're lucky enough, your teammates have called support from Jason's rival Tommy Jarvis, which acts as your second chance at escaping Jason's clutches. There is a way of killing Jason, but it's in a very long multi-step process and is very unrealistic to do in a public match. It takes up too much time, and it's easier for Jason to spot you and your group.

Without a doubt, it's much more exciting to play as Jason, but with that big of a lobby, you mostly get stuck as playing a counselor, which is still fun for me but not for others On Jason's side, it's your job to hunt down each of the counselors using your special set of skills which consist of Morph, Sense, Shift, and Stalk, and if you are having trouble as Jason, the game activates Jason's rage mode mid-match, which enhances all his abilities and allows him to break doors and walls instantly.

I love how the in-game currency is implemented in this game. At the end of the match, whether you escaped, were killed by Jason, or did the hacking and slashing as Jason, everyone gets XP and CP from all the actions they have done. Your CP can either be spent on additional perks and skills for the counselors or special executions which can be performed by Jason Vorhees. Leveling up unlocks new outfits for counselors and different variations of Jason from his past movies.

Game chat is recommended because the developers made it more realistic. Voice chat is limited to proximity, so it's best to find a group and stick with them. Be careful though: If Jason is nearby, he can hear and foil your plans, so keep those mics muted when he's around. When Jason is in pursuit of a counselor, the music will change drastically to an '80s-like slasher chase scene. The music is soft and melodic and usually drowned out by the characters' and Jason's sound effects.

Overall, "Friday The 13th: The Game" is an excellent game to play with friends and is a game that is able to create new friendships whether playing as a counselor or playing as Jason. Even with the bugs and the glitches, "Friday The 13th: The Game" is hands down one of the best movie-driven video games of all time.