15 Tips For the Freshman To Help Them Be Successful Their First Day of College

What you may not have been told but should for sure know.

95

Freshman year. It's can seem pretty scary, especially if you are in a whole new state and don't yet know anyone. This is the year you find out if college is truly the best thing for you. It is your first real taste of independence and a new opportunity to meet people from all over.

If you need some tips on what to know before your first day of college, here's a list from someone who is going on into their sophomore year.

So without further ado, A list of 15 tips for a freshman to help them be successful on their first day of college.

1. Be prepared to start doing work right away

Yes. You have syllabus week in college but after the first day (or sometimes on the first day) be prepared to jump right into school work or at the very least an assignment due that first week.

2. It's different then high school.

Like a lot different. In college you are responsible for going to classes, doing work/ making up if you miss and for the most part you are responsible for yourself.

3. Take advantage of free stuff

Most colleges have a welcome week of some sort (for example, the University of Kentucky has K-Week), take advantage of this as it is one of the many opportunities you have to get free stuff. Another tip: free stuff is often given throughout the year sometimes too, again take advantage of this.

4. Take notes

If you weren't really a note taker in high school, thats something you should probably try to change in college. Notes are important and especially helpful when studying or just to go back over if you need to.

5. Relax

You may not realize it but every other freshman is feeling the same way you do. Nervous. Just relax and you'll do fine.

6. Have an open mind about your classmates

By doing this, you are guaranteed to make friends or at least meet some interesting people. It will also help to have at least one friend or person you are acquainted with in class to help you with work in case you do miss.

7. Get involved on campus

Again, another way to just meet people. Whether its going greek, joining a club or being an athlete, getting involved on campus will make you feel better and you'll have experiences you may not have had otherwise.

8. If you can, set up a bank account.

especially if you're going out of state. Doing so insures that you have a place with money if you need it as well as teaching you how to handle your own finances.

9. Get to know your proffessors

It may seem scary but will be a good thing in the long run. Also if you miss something or have a question, it is easier to approach them and ask.

10. ​If you don't need it, don't bring it.

The dorms are small, so this can be literally anything. Clothes, shoes, your car ( this one especially as you'll mostly be walking everywhere and it's hard to park in some places). however if you do need your car or are living off campus, invest in a parking permit.

11. Start creating a resume

Then have it critiqued by someone who knows what they are doing. Also find a place to put some of your work on the web, especially if you need it to apply for a job in the future. Some of the best things to do would be to set up a website or if your a writer apply for your school's newspaper or Odyssey (if they have one).

12. Try new things

College is a time for everyone yo figure out what they truly want to do with their lives so take a minute and try something, even if you think you won't like it (because you just might).

13. Do I have to take this class?

Chances are if you sign up for a class and realize you don't really want to take it, you don't have to, unless it is required or you can try changing it to something else that fits the requirement.

14. Explore your campus before

Try to see if you can locate your all your classes and if not at least try to see if you can locate the ones for your first day thst way your not s nervous and you know where to go.

15. Enjoy it

Time flies as you get older so take your time and enjoy the little things.