Dear Incoming Anxious College Freshman, You Got This

Anyone can be successful in college with the right mindset and skills.

111
Jonnileigh Price

The transition from high school to college can be a terrifying leap into the unknown. In truth, there is no getting around it. College is all about hard work, determination and (gasp!) time management.

As someone who had been a hardcore slacker in high school, it made the idea of college even more frightening than anticipated. How could I succeed at higher education when I hardly passed the mediocrity of high school?

Despite this, going to college also appeared to me as a saving grace, a way in which I could better myself. For me personally, going to college was the only way in which I saw a content future for myself. It has given me the chance to pursue something I love dearly and will continue to give me the skills necessary in order to pursue my newfound passion.

Besides, how could I waste away such an expensive education and simultaneously become incapacitated by debilitating debt?

The answer was simple: I couldn't and I wouldn't.

My life will not be a pointless mistake or regret.

With the right support system, anyone can achieve nearly anything. Nonetheless, numerous challenges will arise, but you can overcome almost any obstacle with sheer willpower.

It might sound cheesy, cliché and almost hard to believe but being successful in college is honestly all about your perception, outlook and attitude. In my first semester, I learned about the two types of mindsets that students are most apt to have: fixed and growth mindset.

Having a fixed mindset is simply believing that you are inherently good or bad at something. People with this type of mentality are more likely to look at life's challenges and stare blankly into their overwhelming bleakness.

Instead of looking at the challenge as an opportunity to learn and grow, all they see is the possibility of failure and embarrassment.

The growth mindset has changed my life. When you have a growth mindset that means you believe effort and hard work supersedes talent - a great way to think, especially as a college student. Even the subjects that terrify the living crap out of me seem possible through effort. *cough* MATH *cough*

Failure is simply a part of the process that allows for growth and learning. You must accept it. The only way to succeed is to attempt, fail and try again.

Don't get me wrong, there are still moments in my literature classes (my literal favorite) where I do not participate in the discussion as much as I'd like. All because the idea of being wrong and mistaken makes me want to hide my head in the sand and never look into the eyes of my peers again.

Developing a growth mindset is not an easy task. There will be days where everything you do seems to be inadequate, but you will pull through the other side feeling accomplished and proud because you persevered through it. Even if it takes a long while, it doesn't matter. Progress is progress and we all have our own pace.

Be proud of all you've achieved and keep raising your expectations of yourself. Set the bar higher each time and you will surprise yourself. I know I did.