To My Freshman Year Roommate, Thank You For Everything

Freshman year was a rollercoaster no doubt, so it’s a good thing we had each other to get through.

5240
Alexandra Fischer

As the school year’s end is creeping up on us, it’s time I look back on all of the good times and the amazing people I spent them with. Above all, this year would not have been the same if it weren’t for my out-of-this-world roommate.

In just one school year we’ve grown in so many ways, and I’m honored to have gone through the rough twists and turns our first year of college gave us together. While freshman year was an eye-opening and emotionally compromising year to say the very least, I couldn’t be more thankful to have gone through every moment of it by your side.

When we first decided to be roommates a few months before the start of school, it’s no secret that I went full on FBI agent to gather all the information about you I could. However, a few Instagram photos never could have told me what was in store for you and me. Quickly your title went from “roomie” to “froomie,” and although they say that there are many different types of freshman roommate-dynamics, I’m pretty happy about ours.

I had no idea how living in a shoebox-sized room with someone who was once a stranger would change my life so much. I didn’t know what to expect when I arrived at college on my first day, but meeting you was just the beginning of what’s going to be an awesome four years. You make our shoebox feel like home. You’re my favorite person to laugh with after a long and hard day, my favorite person to eat with (especially in the late hours of the night…), and what more could I really ask for?

So, thank you for tolerating my awful singing each day and never ending rants about lord knows what, and when my sloppy habits become too much to handle...asking me nicely to neaten up. Let’s not forget that you’ve listened to my series of overexaggerated problems and stories of homesickness, daydreamed with me about all the foods we could be eating if we didn’t live next to our sub-par dining hall. Most of all, thank you for being my friend through it all.

Although soon we will have to say goodbye to our small square of tile and unbelievably thin walls, this isn’t the end. Who knew a random Facebook-setup would turn into one of the most genuine friendships I’ve ever had?

Even when times were tough (and believe me, sometimes they were) having you to come back to always made everything a little better. As the throws of college life will inevitably cause us to evolve throughout the next three years, you will always be my roommate. Thank you for a year full of smiles, I wouldn’t trade you for anything!