Saying "Goodbye" To Freshman Year

Saying "Goodbye" To Freshman Year

This has been the best year of my life.

18
Saying "Goodbye" To Freshman Year
Kornerbooth

And in the blink of an eye, my freshman year of college is over. Just yesterday, it felt like I was walking across the stage to receive my high school diploma. Now, I am driving away in my car to return to Louisiana after an absolutely amazing nine months away at Baylor University. I am a completely different person than I was one year ago, and these experiences in college have been indescribable.

I have experienced living with complete strangers for the first time. I have met people from literally all over the world. I have obtained so much knowledge in my classes, and I feel so much more culturally aware.

I have gained the best friends in the entire world. North Russell Hall has been such a blessing. Countless nights, I have found myself sitting in the lobby at 5 o’clock in the morning talking about my darkest secrets or expressing my personal beliefs. I can relate to my hallmates on so many different aspects that I never could have imagined. I have laughed harder than ever, and I have gone on so many adventures. I’ve tried new, even scary things with my best friends, and we’ve all grown together. I can’t imagine not living in the same building as all of these incredible souls next year, and my North Russell pals will always have a spot in my heart.

I joined a sports team in college, which was an incredible experience. Playing my favorite sport, lacrosse, for my favorite school was a dream come true. I grew in my skill, but I also learned what it meant to work hard for others. I felt like I truly belonged somewhere, and for that, I am forever thankful for my lacrosse team.

Being an only child, I never imagined gaining hundreds of sisters, but Zeta Tau Alpha did that for me. Joining a sorority and constantly feeling the support of my sisters was so helpful. Discovering that I was a Zeta on Bid Day was a feeling like no other, and I am so thankful for this sweet sisterhood. I am consistently surrounded by love, and it is so humbling to represent something bigger than myself. The traditions, the friendship, and the fun that my sorority offers can’t be found anywhere else, and I’m so happy to call Zeta home.

College has been such an adventure. From my first independent hospital visit, to crying after a huge exam, to throwing up all over Subway’s bathroom, to all of the memories…I am forever thankful. I will never forget all of the deep conversations, all of the stress, all of the late nights, and all of the parties. All of these bits and pieces of freshman year have molded me into the person I am. Because of this year, I know how to live on my own, meet new people, gain so many friends, and truly let loose. I am not afraid to be myself anymore. I don’t have to be the Macy everyone expects me to be. I can have the time of my life during the weekends and make A’s during the week. I can be both the sorority girl and the bookworm. I can be whoever I want to be.

Baylor University is my home. During the summer, I’ll be in Louisiana, but room 3421 in North Russell Hall will always be the place I think of and smile. Although I’m happy for finals to be completed, I am sad knowing Waco is so far away. This school year has been the best year of my life so far, and I know it’s only going to get better from here. With my Baylor family, I can do anything. I am looking forward to screaming Ed Sheeran songs at the top of my lungs, running across the highway to get a burrito from Chipotle and Ubering to Cameron Park in the middle of the night all over again in August.

I can't wait to be back.

Sic ’em now and sic ’em forever!