I Survived My Freshman Year of College And You Can Too

Going to college is a huge transition, but here are some tips to help

108

Consider this your Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide for College

Take time to find your classes before they start

College campuses are harder to navigate than High School hallways but don't stress. Pull up google maps, grab your roommate, and take a stroll around campus to get the lay of the land.

Don't get your textbooks super early

Textbooks are expensive, but in my experience, many professors don't actually require all of them or have cheaper options to help students. Wait until the professor goes over the syllabus on the first day and save your money. Besides, you probably won't read most of them anyway.

Get involved sooner rather than later

Getting involved on campus helped me meet people and feel like I belonged with the campus community. There are so many clubs to choose from, look around and try anything that seems to interest you, college is the best time to experiment with your interests.

Attend campus events they're super fun

At the beginning of the school year, college campuses usually host fun events like concerts or movie nights. Take advantage of these, they're super fun and there is usually free food involved.

Professors aren't as scary as they look

Most professors are actually really approachable and totally willing to help you. They want you to succeed in their courses, so never be afraid to ask for help. Plus the professors are just really cool to hang around.

Roommates and friends aren't the same thing, but thats okay

Room switches after the first few weeks of school are a totally normal thing, not everyone can get along well enough to live together. Dorm rooms are tiny and school is no fun when you're having problems with the person two feet away from you. Everything works it's self out in the end, and sometimes it takes a little friction for you to find your real friends.

Once you join the college crowd, you won't want to go back

Starting to live on your own changes things, you and your parents develop different schedules, your old room becomes an office, and your friends still in high school now seem a lot younger than before. Plus you can go wherever and hang out with whoever whenever you want. Two days into your first visit home, you'll be ready to go back.

College is an adjustment, but once you get settled in, it's a ton of fun. Enjoy your freshman year, try not to stress too much, and know that it's okay if you don't have everything figured out just yet.