Freshman Art Major Thoughts

Freshman Art Major Thoughts

12

Coming into freshman year for college is already hard enough. Personally I did not know what I was getting myself into, but I'm glad I did. Being an art major might be one of the hardest things because you lug your portfolio everywhere and your supplies, constantly being asked if you need help. In the long run it should be okay because you're doing what you love right?

People ask us all the time what it's like, what projects were doing, what time do we go to sleep, how often we sleep etc...I can go on for days. First of all, what is sleep? One time my friend and I stayed until two in the morning once in the art building and another time I personally stayed until three in the morning. Projects on top of projects on top of projects and you have no more room in your locker so you have to bring everything back to your dorm which then gets so tight you can't even have people over.

"Ugh you guys just sit there and craft all day, I wish i could..." Um, excuse you. Please don't be in my presence if you think being an art major is easy.I have been told this many times and if I hear it one more time I might burst. We art majors have no idea what free time means, studio hours, eating dinner from the vending machines and Starbucks breaks are what we live, eat and breathe. I cannot tell you the last time I had free time on top of a job I have and then I do my art projects at that.

I've been told by many upperclassmen, " If you think you're having a hard time now just wait until you get to [this class]." I am frightened at the fact that it gets harder, I thought the saying was " Things get easier." HA! Well I've stopped believing in that. Coming into college having no idea how to draw was a terrible idea. My first semester was pretty rough because I couldn't draw for my life but then again how could I get into the art program if I can't draw. Scratch what I said about having no idea, I have a somewhat understanding how to draw. Still Life's,One point perspective, two point perspective, STILL LIFE'S and MORE STILL LIFE'S. I can proudly say that I am a pro at drawing boxes and needless to say thats all I can do.

Now that its second semester I now have another drawing class where I pretty much have an open door where I can choose what to draw but then again I never liked drawing. I've met so many freshman art majors who've said at least five times a day where they hate drawing. We hate drawing because some of us look at other peoples work and think, "What the hell, how does someone draw so beautiful." Then we get one look at our drawings and see that one object shouldn't be bigger than another or our lines aren't parallel or we made to much of a hard outline that isn't erasable.

My objective in my life is to go into photography and I get the question everyday from some non art major, "What are you going to do with that? How are you even going to make money?" I love photography, If you love what you do you will be happy. Ask any other art major they say the same thing. At least we get to express ourselves instead of sitting on our asses all day in a cubicle that you can hopefully get an hour lunch break. Worry about yourselves.

"Oh my god, that looks so good," said by a non art major. SHUT UP! You clearly didn't even see what it was because its in a plastic bag that you can barely see through. I have gotten this "compliment" by way to many people that don't even care they just say it to say it, sometimes you just have a line on the paper and they think your Picasso. A rough day after having a critique in class is the worst because thats when you just want to hide in a corner and have everyone tell you whats wrong with it, those are the real critical people that actually want you to get better rather then have "those" people who have you kept at your minimum work ability that are telling you it's amazing.

So next time you ask an art major on how their day is going, don't.