Keep Calm And Enroll On

Keep Calm And Enroll On

11
Keep Calm And Enroll On

As an incoming freshman, enrollment for classes can seem like the most overwhelming process in the world. From trying to pick the right classes to figuring out Opus, there doesn’t seem to be an easy step in the enrollment process. But as an incoming sophomore, I’m here to assure you that you will get through it and that it does in fact get easier every time…well, sort of. In order to help you get through your first enrollment, here are a few tips from someone who’s been there:

1. Stay calm.

As the title suggests, one must stay calm in order to make it through enrollment. I know it may seem stressful and, at some points, you may just want to throw your computer against a wall when none of your classes are open, but I guarantee you that it won’t help anything to stress out. Instead, take a deep breath, and try to put things into perspective. Everything will work out.

2. Your Shopping Cart should be your best friend.

Put every and all classes that you may be interested in taking in your shopping cart because one never knows what classes will actually be open during enrollment. Even if a class is full on Opus, don’t be hesitant to put it into your shopping cart, because once enrollment comes around there is a good chance that that class will have opened up.

3. Have back-ups.

Going off my last point, it is extremely important to have back-ups when it comes to enrolling for classes. As older students will tell you, it’s very likely that once your enrollment time comes around, all your first choice classes may be full. While this may seem like the end of the world in the moment, it doesn’t have to be if you have made adequate back-up plans.

4. During your first enrollment time, make sure to get the most wanted class to ensure a spot.

As you should already know, enrollment takes place in two times, with the first time enabling you to sign up for eight credits. Make sure to take advantage of these eight credits and to sign up for the classes that will most likely be full by the time second enrollment comes around.

5. Do your research.

Signing up for classes doesn’t have to be hard if you’ve done your research and know exactly what classes you should want to be taking. So, ask around. See what classes were popular among students and what classes would benefit you the most.

6. Don’t over do it.

Your first semester in college is supposed to be fun, not stressful and overwhelming, so make sure you do your research and don’t sign up for classes you can’t handle. Remember, you have four years of classes!