10 Things I’ve Learned in My First Year of College

-

886

10 Things I’ve Learned in My Freshman Year of College:

1. Time will go by way faster than you may think- so use each day to your advantage and appreciate the little things.

2. It is important to learn how to spend time with yourself- there are going to be days where you feel lonely, but that is not necessarily a negative thing. Use that time to find hobbies that you enjoy, learn something new, or work on yourself.

3. Finish all of your homework before the weekend starts- trust me, it is way easier said than done, but it makes a huge difference and you will be glad that you did.

4. Say hi and make the effort to talk to everyone- mostly every person you will come across will be eager to meet new people and make new friends. Push yourself to talk to people, you never know what could come out of it.

5. Join a club/organization- it can be a great opportunity to meet others with similar interests to you.

6. Going out is fun but it is not the end all be all. Every night is pretty much the same- if you want to stay in and just chill, that is 100% okay, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

7. Study outside of your room- go to the library, sit outside, go find a new coffee shop to work at. Being in a new and fresh environment can be inspiring and allow you to discover new places in your area.

8. Take advantage of your professors- do not be scared to ask for help. Your professors are there for a reason.

9. Figure out ways to deal with stress in healthy and productive ways- it can be so easy to self sabotage at times, especially when you are in such an independent phase of your life. Working out, going for walks, journaling, yoga, etc. are some examples of healthy coping mechanisms.

10. Learn how to say no and set boundaries with others- this one is difficult, but constantly trying to please others and keep them happy will ultimately end up hurting you in the long run. You know yourself better than anyone else, so communicate that with people.