Why #FreeKesha Knows the Hashtag is About More than Just Her

The hashtag that can change culture and an entire industry

23
Why #FreeKesha Knows the Hashtag is  About More than Just Her
the Frisky

Over the course of the last week, most people have seen photos of Kesha, dressed in all white, crying in a courthouse. The #FreeKesha hashtag has been trending, and celebrities everywhere are unifying together to announce their overwhelming support for the popstar.

So what exactly is going on?

Kesha signed a contract when she was 18 with Sony. She put out her first single “Tik Tok” in 2009. In 2012, she produced her second album, and shortly after, released "Timber" in 2013, which is the last song she has released. She then requested an immediate injunction that would allow her to create and record without the help of Dr. Luke. But Sony denied the request. In 2013 Kesha went to rehab for bulimia, which her mother stated Dr. Luke caused. Then, in 2014 Kesha continued the process to get out of her contract by filing a lawsuit against Dr. Luke, alleging sexual, psychical, verbal, and emotional abuse. She then added Sony to the lawsuit because they put her and various other female artists in danger and did not protect her. Rather, she said Sony helped to cover up her abuse.

Sony has said that it is unnecessary for her to break the contract, as albums could be created without them needing to be in the same room. And on February 19th the courts sided with Sony, and denied her the right to leave her contract.

Sony has sided with Dr. Luke, as he is seen as more valuable for the company. But by supporting him, they are setting Kesha up for failure. Kesha is allowed to work with another producer at Sony, but it is speculated that even if that does happen, they will not give her the best producers or marketing. They will not give her the proper respect or publicity that she deserves. So last week when the verdict was read, tears started to pour down in the courtroom.

Kesha has said “I know I cannot work with Dr. Luke. I physically cannot. I do not feel safe in any way.” And “All I ever wanted was to be able to make music without being afraid, scared, or abused. This case has never been about a renegotiation of my record contract…This is about being free from my abuser.”

When Kesha was at rehab, she seemed to change. By the time she was released, she had a different image. No longer was she the wild party girl, but now she seemed like a normal, down to earth girl you would want as a friend. She is a hero, taking a stand for herself and other women. She knew she needed help, she received it, and then was going out to ensure her safety.

The image she had been portraying for years was not entirely her own, but rather the image her producers wanted her possess. She wanted to offer more to the world than just party anthems and glitter, but Dr. Luke had all creative control over her. She was not only stuck with her abuser, but trapped to create with a certain image. For years she has not been able to be herself. Rehab seemed to unleash the other side of her. The side that was strong, and willing to take risks in order to truly show who she was.

Kesha now is inspirational. So far in history, there has not been a single recording artist to void their contract because of sexual abuse. If Kesha wins this case, it will be a step forward. There has been support outside the courtroom, to social media, to a petition to tell Sony not to force her to work with her abuser, and even a website titled #FreeKesha.

Everyone from Iggy Azelea to Adele has had positive words for Kesha, and support has been evident. The support has gone so far that Adele mentioned Kesha in her acceptance speech at the Brit Awards. While winning her award she said “I’d like to take this moment to publicly support Kesha. Thank you.” She used her time in the spotlight to build awareness for a worthy cause, and another female musician. Taylor Swift donated $250,000 to support Kesha, as she cannot make music while the lawsuit is ongoing. Swift did not do this for publicity, as the news was released by Kesha’s mother. Famous producers, Zedd and Jack Antonoff have both come forward and have offered to produce songs for her for free.

One thing that should be recognized is the enormous amount of support being shown. The amount is almost overwhelming. It truly shows that in times of need, it is so important to stick together and lift people up. Lena Dunham wrote a public letter about the issue, which helped many people understand just how serious this is. While it is about Kesha, it is so much more than her, and she knows it. This issue is prevalent everywhere and anywhere that men of power make women feel inferior or trapped.

Despite the image she used to have, people are realizing that it doesn’t matter. Abuse is something that is never the victims fault, and this case is highlighting that. The hard part about this case is that there is no proof, other than the damage and pain Dr. Luke has caused her. Despite that, she still is going through it with her head held high, trying to set a positive example for anyone else going through something similar. Hopefully this case will not put blame on the victims anymore. Courts should care more about a persons physical and mental health, instead of money. This is an important time for change, that can hopefully help with Kesha getting her freedom.

#FreeKesha