Freedom Of Speech And Religion Is A Two-Way Street

America believes in freedom of speech, yes. But since it does, why can’t Christians partake in stating their side of how they feel on certain moral issues?

20
Le Voyage De Dudu

When starting to write your first article as an author for The Odyssey, the world is begging you to pick from a meadow of ideas. So how do you choose? I was thinking about something light-hearted and familiar so I could get my feet wet, as they say, without making too much of a fool of myself. In light of recent events, however, I changed my mind – a writer’s prerogative. Instead I will attempt to right about peace, love, hope, and harmony, and the ability to speak out and stand for what one believes in.

America was founded with the ideas of freedom of speech and religion in mind.

It was founded under God.

It was a group of brave men and women seeking a better life for them and their families.

There has been a lot of talk, in general, but especially in light of the incident that took place in Orland, Florida, about tolerance and freedom to be what one chooses.

People keep posting, commenting, debating, stating, and writing all about America and how it is the country that supports freedom.

Okay, while this is true, it is also false. America believes in freedom of speech, yes. But since it does, why can’t Christians partake in stating their side of how they feel on certain moral issues?

For example, the shooting happened at a gay nightclub. It was targeted to hurt homosexuals. This is not ok. It is never acceptable to senselessly kill someone, whether they agree with you religiously or not. Thus, this has prompted many conversations about the aforementioned topic of tolerance, i.e., ‘We need to accept the way other’s choose to live their life.’ ‘We need to be tolerant and support each other.’

Once again, yes… but no.

So, where am I going with all of this? I will use myself and my family as an example. We do not believe in gay marriage. We do not support this lifestyle. However, we do not hate! We do not hate the people and we certainly do not wish them any harm. We support the person themselves though. We may tell them that what they choose concerning their sexuality is incorrect, but we do not hate them, nor do we need to agree with this decision of theirs. (Yes, we do understand that it is a real urge and that people really do have these feelings. We deal with the situation as we deem appropriate and right.) We too have our right to live as we would like. We too have a right to declare our feelings on matters of the world. Just like the liberals, conservatives should be allowed to express their thoughts.

It all comes down not to tolerance, but love and harmony… Peace. I do not agree with the homosexual society; I do not agree with abortion; I do not agree with many other things the world deems acceptable. Again, I can say this and I can try to do my part to change this. This does not mean I hate any one or am being intolerant. It means I too am utilizing my rights as an American to live as I choose, say what I will, and try to help the causes I am passionate about.

The world is sore for love; people are aching for peace and fulfillment. We are searching for these blessings in all the wrong places. The very thing this world needs, is exactly what it is afraid of… Yes, as cliché as it sounds-- God can, will, and wants to help us. He is our only hope and the only way. The world is clinging to hope. People are literally dying for lack and want of peace. The answer isn’t tolerance… It’s Jesus.

Jesus will give us the peace and the love we need; the kind of peace that will truly heal this world and make it a better place.

So let’s not just talk the talk, but let’s walk the walk and really pray for peace in every sense and really be a light of hope to all. And when we do talk, we should try to do so in such a way that will not verbally stab someone, but instead convey our point without any hatred.