Freedom In Its Many Forms: Independence Days Around The World

Here's how other countries will be celebrating their own autonomy throughout the year.

28
Funcheap.com

The Fourth of July is certainly call for huge celebration here in the United States of America, where there is guaranteed to be at least five star-spangled backyard barbecues within a mile radius on this holiday. While patriotic Americans celebrate with extravagant fireworks and red, white, and blue apparel galore, here's how our Independence Day compares to three other now-sovereign nations from around the world.

Every year on September 18, the country of Chile celebrates their Fiestas Patrias, their independence from the Spanish Empire back in 1810. The revolt was caused by dissatisfaction with their corrupt governor and was inspired by other “New World" inhabitants fighting off their own imperial rulers. Chile officially celebrates its independence as the anniversary of when 300 citizens held a meeting to establish an independent government with a newly elected president and plans to form a Congress, establish a national army, and enforce free trade. Chileans celebrate the formation of their own government with festivities that last for weeks. Traditionally, this major holiday is commemorated with parades, street performances, the national rodeo finals in Rancagua, and the famous kite flying or "volantines" in Antofagasta,which are reminiscent of the lives lost during the fight for independence.

Independence Day in Lithuania is very unique due to the fact that they had to declare themselves independent on two separate occasions: once from Russia on February 16, 1918, and then from the USSR on March 11, 1990. Lithuanians celebrate their hard-won freedom on these two dates that are called State Restoration Day and Independence Restoration Day, respectively. Lithuania was also the first country in the USSR to regain their democracy. Lithuanians celebrate their freedom in February and it is certainly a huge event, as the entire country sponsors parades, free concerts, and public shows at the National Opera and Ballet Theater. These festivities make it clear that Lithuanians take great pride in their arts and culture.

August 17 is the date that Indonesia celebrates their independence won from the Netherlands in 1945. Their independence was not easily granted, as the Dutch refused to accept their call for independence, leading to four years of war, until the Netherlands fully recognized Indonesia as independent. Interestingly enough, the Dutch did not accept August 17 as Indonesia's official date of independence until the year 2005. In preparation for this holiday, the country is adorned in a sea of red and white, their national colors, while residents perform and organize community service. The president always delivers a speech on the eve of the holiday, which is followed by parades and other public celebrations. Some of their distinct traditions include the game of Panjat Pinang, which is when participants have to climb a greased palm tree trunk with prizes such as bicycles and televisions at the top; whoever reaches the prizes wins the game. Their independence day customs also include releasing baby green sea turtles into the Indian Ocean at Bali's Kuta Beach.

Freedom is a highly coveted ideal, no matter who you are or where you live in the world. Though different nations celebrate their independence in different fashions and traditions—the belief in autonomy, dignity, and human rights is clearly a driving force for unity that can bring people from all over the globe together behind a single cause.