Free T-Shirts Are Addictive For College Students

And I'm not sure there is a cure.

1346
Marisa Hoenig

Before I came to college, I remember someone telling me not to bring any T-shirts. I admit, I brought a couple, but I finally understand why I shouldn't have. Free T-shirts will hit you in the face (literally, at football games) once you arrive at college.

Within the first week, I gained at least eight free T-shirts, which I took as quite the accomplishment. I felt like I figured out some secret way to gain new apparel. Soon enough, every event promised free T-shirts, and I was the first in line to retrieve one. I would come back to my dorm and boast about the shirts I had acquired, as if my entire wardrobe is defined purely by T-shirts.

Some came from clubs I joined – or better yet, clubs I didn't join. Some came from random events like freshmen orientation, conferences, or hackathons. Some seemed like they just appeared out of nowhere. Some were even duplicates, which I cannot justify even if I tried. Some weren't the right size because even if it wasn't going to fit, it was still a free shirt.

However, after three months of college, I realized that free T-shirts are more of an addiction than anything. My drawer of short-sleeve shirts is overflowing to the point that I started packing away unworn shirts in a duffel bag to bring home. Yet, I find enjoyment in gaining another shirt, because I add it to my collection and tell my friends about my prowess in obtaining free clothing.

Others might think my collection of 24 free shirts is a little overboard, but at least I'll always have something to wear.