Free (And Almost Free) Things To Do In Rhode Island This Summer

Places and events to take pictures, not take out your wallet.

5736
Mystic Valley Railway Society

Rhode Island is beautiful during the summer. Budgets. Not so much. Here is a brief list of events happening in the Ocean State this summer that are fun, and not expensive.

1. The Beaches

Come on. You had to know that this was going to be at the top of the list. After all, we are called the “Ocean State!” As we all know that some beaches are more expensive than others, this year Rhode Island beach fees have been lowered. Some beaches that require no entrance fees are Easton’s Beach in Newport and Sand Hill Cove of Narragansett. Beaches such as Blue Shutters, in Charlestown, and Scarborough Beach in Narragansett charge for parking, but it is free to access the beach.

2. Hiking

Every county in Rhode Island offers paths for hiking, walking, and biking. Trails vary from deep in Lincoln Woods to seaside on the Newport Cliff Walk. Explorri.org offers a list of hiking trails, as well as how long or difficult the trail is. Everytrail.com has pictures and reviews of trails. You can read what other hikers thought about the trails before you start your own adventure!

3. The RISD Museum

Waking up on a warm summer day to hear the pitter patter of rain outside is often a disappointment – especially if it is your day off. What is there to do on a rainy summer day? Try the RISD Museum! Located on North Main St in Providence, the museum has a broad collection of art. From abstract painting to ancient marble statues, this museum has something for every Rhode Islander. The best part? Admission is free every Sunday and on the third Thursday evening of every month.

4. Festivals and Events

During the summer months Rhode Island hosts festivals of different genres. This includes the Newport Jazz Festival, Pride Fest, Newport Folk Festival, Wickford Art festival, Scituate Art Festival, Charlestown Seafood Festival, and Washington County Fair. A full list of events can be found here.

5. WaterFire

If you haven’t attended a WaterFire in Providence yet, you’re missing out. At least once a month the river in downtown Providence is illuminated with a night of fun, food, and entertainment. Can’t make it to Providence? Westerly hosts a similar event in August, called River Glow.

6. Concerts

Alongside Rhode Island’s many music festivals, there are an abundance of concerts to attend. And what’s better than a concert? A free concert! 95.5 WBRU hosts the Summer Concert Series at Waterplace Park and Alex and Ani City Center. Admittance is free and there are many vendors selling food and beverages during the show.

7. Roger Williams Park Zoo

Residents of the city of Providence receive free admission to Roger Williams Park Zoo on the first Saturday of every month! Also, active and retires military veterans and immediate family members receive a 50% discount. Neither of these discounts apply to you? Admittance to the zoo may cost about $15 for adults, but having a picnic in the park, enjoying the view of the swan boats on the pond, or walking around the open park is free! Bring your family and enjoy!

8. Breweries and Vineyards

The Ocean State is home to Foolproof Brewing Company, Son of Liberty Spirits Company, and Newport Vineyards. All companies offer tours to the public for less than $15. The cost covers a tour, tastings, and souvenir glass. All participants must be at least 21 years of age.

9. Car Shows and Cruise Nights

Have an antique car? Like antique cars? Every Tuesday night at Oakland Beach, in Warwick, cars of all kinds line up against the seawall from 4pm to dusk. Attendees may purchase food, raffle tickets, and Iggys, but attendance is free! Oakland Beach is not the only car show host, and a full list of this summer’s events all over the state can be found here.

10. Fireworks

Get ready for oooohs and aaaahs. Rhode Island has a full calendar of firework displays around the state. The calendar is constantly updated and adds more events throughout the summer. Also, The Pawtucket Red Sox feature fireworks after many games at McCoy Stadium throughout the summer!