Learn How I'm Furnishing My New House For Free

I scored a $400 coffee table for free. Want to know my secret?

32

How?

My not-so-secret secret is "Neighborly" or "Buy Nothing", my favorite money saver. These are local Facebook groups people use to give things away for free, $0, zilch, absolutely nothing.

In contrast to stereotypical thrifting, it's gifting from your neighbors done over the internet! So things aren't picked over, you can save some time, and you don't have to worry about finding something you like but not wanting to drive an hour to get it.

Tip: I turned on notifications within my group so that I catch newly posted items quickly!

What?

I've managed to score a wooden lift-top coffee table and matching side table which would usually run me about $500 or so. I've also picked up a vacuum, décor, 3 pairs of mid-priced heels, granite samples, perfume samples, a desk, and an office chair.

Items I've seen frequently in these groups are furniture, mirrors, clothes, organizer bins, crafting materials, kitchen appliances, books, dishes and glassware, kids toys...the list goes on.

The way to score items for free depends on the item poster's decision on whether they want to gift their item to the first person who comments "interested" (or something of the sort) or if they want to allow 24 hours or so for people to comment indicating their interest and then draw a random winner from those commenters.

If they pick you, they'll either comment back to you or private message you to let you know you've been selected to take home the item and discuss when and how you'll pick it up! I've found it's almost always the case that the gifter will want to leave the item on their front porch or in their driveway within 48 hours of you "winning" it.

BOOM. It's that easy. Free stuff.

Where?

I live in the South Hills of Pittsburgh, PA and our group is so large that we have it split into North and South groups just within my one township. From what I understand, there's usually one group per area that will split into smaller groups if it's able to as it grows in order to keep the members as involved and as close together geographically as possible.

If you live in the Pittsburgh area like me, I know that there are 2 "Neighborly" Facebook groups for Bethel Park, 1 for Houston/Canonsburg/McGovern, 1 for Keystone Oaks, and 1 for South Park.

There are "Buy Nothing" groups for the Shadyside / Squirrel Hill / Greenfield / Hazelwood / Pittsburgh area, the Highland Park / Lawrenceville / Bloomfield / Garfield / Morningside / East Liberty / Stanton Heights area, Sewickley, Bellevue / Avalon / Emsworth / Ben Avon / West View, Carnegie, Penn Hills / Verona / Oakmont, Beechview / Dormont, Cecil, Peters Township, Robinson, McCandless / Franklin Park, Burgettstown, Hempfield / Greensburg, Plum, and Northside.

There also seems to be a "Buy Not A Thing" group for the Northside and a "Upcycle and Buy Nothing" group for State College.

If you don't see a "Buy Nothing" or "Neighborly" group for your specific area but you do leave close to one, my un-official suggestion is to use the address of a friend who lives in the area included in the group's boundaries. Yes, when clicking to join one of these groups it will likely ask you to list your street or cross street to prove you're in the desired area for that specific group.

However, it is important to note that you'll likely have a hard time selling items (or even possibly get removed from the group depending on how strict they are) if you attempt to gift items as people are anticipating they'll be able to pick those items up within their township. However, if you use a close friend or family member's address within that township you can always leave your items on their porch to be picked up by fellow group members.If you're just looking to receive items rather than gift, you should have no issues using a street name that isn't yours.

Why?

Just in my group, there are 955 members - think about how much free stuff that is every day! You've got nothing to lose - Join your local group now, it's free!