How to Get Free or Discounted Services

How to Get Free or Discounted Services

If there's a college near you, you may be in luck!

28
How to Get Free or Discounted Services
pixabay.com

This week, I had the experience that I wish everyone could have when it comes to dental care. I was a recruit for a dental student at the local community college. This was my follow-up appointment. My first appointment was just as wonderful. I initially had a general check-up. Lexy, my student dental hygienist, checked my blood pressure, pulse, medical history, took pictures of my teeth, and investigated my mouth. Her “higher up” came through frequently to do checkpoints before Lexy could move on to the next step. She would also do some of the same things over again after Lexy to make sure they were all done correctly, so I basically got double the treatment! Shortly after, I received nutritional counseling to make sure I’m eating and drinking healthfully to keep my body and mouth of teeth in check. I then got bite-wing x-rays, and a panoramic x-ray to see how my bone density looked, and to see if I had wisdom teeth or not. It turns out, my bone density is fine, one of my canines actually has two roots versus the usual one, and I only have my top two wisdom teeth which look like they’re in good shape for now. And that was only my first appointment. The appointment would have all been free, but the x-rays were an additional cost, so I paid $20. However, that was the most thorough 2 hour long, personal exam I have ever received.

My follow up appointment included another quick check-up and gingivitis counseling. Then I got the dye treatment to see where the bio-film was and a demonstration on how to properly brush and floss, because I admitted that I actually don’t floss. That’s terrible, I know. But it makes my gums bleed. Typical reason, but I have no reason anymore because I was also provided with a new Oral-B toothbrush with soft bristles, Crest Complete toothpaste, and high quality braided floss to ensure a good flossing. I had the most thorough cleaning ever. My mouth felt amazing. Each and every tooth had its special treatment (twice because of Lexy’s teacher checking them as well). I didn’t really have tartar, but the overall cleaning and polishing felt super. It was all for free! I received a 2 ½ hour long cleaning with goodies all for free. It also benefited Lexy in helping her get the requirements she needed for her degree. Considering I don’t have insurance right now, I was quite fortunate to have received such great attention. Lexy also pointed me in the direction to find other dentists for low-cost or no insurance required, which was really nice of her.

If you think that’s all, you’re about to be blown away. College students can provide you more services than just that at little to no expense to you in return for your help giving them the practice they need. Here are some ways you can find some of your own:

HAIR, NAILS, AND BEAUTY

I have also had an amazing experience at an Empire Beauty student salon. I had a thorough, non-rushed, very relaxing experience. The result was a gorgeous haircut and style. My stylist even gave me an extra-long shampoo and conditioning wash because I said it was my favorite part! She did it all on her own, except for when her teacher assisted her in getting the right angle cut for my bangs to shape my face just perfectly. The whole thing only cost me $9. There are many other hair services provided by them at a super affordable price.

HEALTH SERVICES

There is such a thing as student-run clinics. They provide services for everyone but prioritize patients without health insurance. Mostly all of their services are free of cost. Take UR Well for example. I took these bullet points from the website.

• Walk-in clinic every Thursday evening from 6-8pm. First-come, first-serve.
  • We prioritize uninsured patients.
  • We now offer STI testing for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia, but DO NOT offer testing for any other STI’s (i.e. HIV).
  • We DO NOT see pediatric (child) patients.
  • We DO NOT give prescriptions for Opioids (for example, Vicodin) or Benzodiazepines (for example, Xanax).
  • We have a Social Worker at the clinic on most clinic nights.
  • Physical Exam nights are held on the FIRST TUESDAY of every month from 6-8pm
  • On Thursday night clinics, we prioritize acute care patients (i.e. not physical exams)
    If you need a physical exam, please come on the first TUESDAY of every month. If you come on Thursday night for a physical exam, you may have to wait several hours to get a physical exam OR you may NOT be seen, depending on patient volume.
  • Have a rash or other skin issue? Dermatology nights are held on the THIRD Thursday of every month from 6-8pm. We see and treat all skin diseases (rashes, warts, acne, etc.).
  • Hablas español? Nuestros médicos y estudiantes de medicina hablan español. Ofrecemos exámenes físicos y de atención médica aguda.
  • We dohavefree influenza (Flu) shots this season. Everyone is welcome to get a flu shot. We do not offer vaccinations other than the flu shot.
  • Fecal Occult Blood Tests (to check for blood in stool)
  • PPD (Tuberculosis) testing(Please note, the clinic does not always have a supply of PPD solution. Please call the clinic in advance to find out if we are offering PPD testing)
  • WeDO NOToffer Urine Pregnancy Tests or Urine analysis (Urine dipstick)

Their mission is to “provide free high-quality preventative and health maintenance services to uninsured and under-served families and individuals in an effort to foster the health of the community of Rochester, NY while promoting the spirit of education, social justice, and collaboration.”

As I had also talked all about earlier, dental care is an option too!

SCIENCE SERVICES

If you ever have any concerns that some scientists may be able to figure out for you, ask the director of a science course at your nearby college. Unknown insect? Strange color to your water? Need plant advice? Science students are usually eager to help where they can or use information as data for an assignment.

MISCELLANEOUS

Vocational schools are where you would also be able to find a lot of students looking for hands-on work. Check out all of these services that one school provided. If you keep an eye on what’s going on at the colleges or schools near you, you may find yourself in luck of some really cheap oil changes or a spa day. Veterinary services may also be available at a vet school near you! Ask around.