The Fourth Wall

The Fourth Wall

What stands between you and new success.

6
The Fourth Wall
thumbs.dreamstime.com

As a freshman in college who had never received any prior acting instruction, I decided to branch out and try something new. As a last-minute decision (with the encouragement from a good friend), I hesitantly enrolled in an Acting I class. I had no idea what to expect. As the course is currently coming to a close, I can say without hesitation that it has been one of the most rewarding decisions I have ever made. But first, let's understand a few things. One, I'm no Oscar-winning actress. Two, it has not been easy. And three, I'm still learning.

I have always been told that nothing changes until we decide to do something different. Those words are inspiring but scary. Comfort zones are nice. We feel like the kings or queens of our own little universes. Our mundane, routine life is predictable and sure. But at some point, Netflix and ice cream doesn't completely fill our satisfaction for life anymore. Watching cool movies about history isn't enough. Just reading about game-changing people's success stories isn't inspiring anymore. As human beings, we crave more out of life and our own existence than just a passive experience. But to experience change that means we have to do something different, like taking an acting class was for me.

The next three tips will help you on your journey to recreate yourself:

First, decide to commit yourself. Whether it is playing a new sport, joining a new club, or taking a different class, commit yourself 110% to it. If you give a passive effort you will earn a passive reward. If you let other activities overtake priority you can expect little change.

Second, give it your all. For me, this meant a lot of time memorizing lines, incorporating techniques and style, watching those who were more skilled, and listening to my director (AKA my professor). Memorization does not come naturally to me. It is a huge obstacle that I am still working to overcome, but with patience and practice it has become much less tedious and much more fun! Whatever your endeavor, decide to devote yourself to it and you will see results.

Third, enjoy the process while making mistakes. My biggest fears about trying something new were failure, mistakes, and humiliation. During my short acting career, I experienced all of these. There were performances where I forgot my lines, did incorrect blocking, or broke character. There were moments when the room went awkwardly silent and all of the pressure was on me. I often left that class wondering why in the world I ever thought it was a good idea to take it in the first place. But all of the imperfections helped lead me to become a better actress and person as a whole.

In the words of our favorite Benedict Cumberbatch, " The further you get away from yourself, the more challenging it is. Not to be in your comfort zone is a great deal of fun". And I couldn't agree more with him.