Fourth of July Signature Celebrations

4 Essentials to Any American Celebration

It's a party in the U.S.A.

73
Kerry Sheehan-Delany

There's a clear difference between June and July, and July 4th kicks it off with all of our favorite summer things. Just like winter, we Americans know when the fourth is coming and when the fourth is with us.

1. Red, White, and Barbecue

There is nothing that rings Independence Day better than a barbecue. You can smell it blocks down the road and watch smoke join the cumulus clouds in the bright, blue sky. Corn hole is the activity of choice while you wait for the grill master to cook the burgers and dogs to perfection. With a spread of snacks to much on, there is always a line for tray of watermelon wedges. It is as refreshing as a red solo cup of lemonade, or the sprinkler watering the green grass and mischievous children before the sparklers sprinkle the night sky.

2. Thank you for the blockade, parade.

Parades, parades, parades. Americans love to celebrate with parades. Although most people cozy up in their home and watch the Thanksgiving parade from the comfort of their home, the beautiful July weather brings a whole new meaning to the definition of parade. Not only do communites come together and march down Main Street, but people flood the path and sidewalks, until there is no absolutely no space. The super fans even put chairs out the night before to make sure they have a front row seat for all the craziness.

3. Finally break out the fireworks you bought almost a year ago.

No one knows how to properly use them, but all we want to do is fill the sky with stars just like our star-spangled banner. The lucky ones thank the South for providing gigantic, borderline ill-EAGLE ones to celebrate even more enthusiastically. Sparklers are a staple, but they do not always satisfy the pyro interest of most kids, but every fire starts from a spark.

4. You may run, but you cannot hide from the pride

There is no way to survive this day without some pride. It explodes from every direction and everyone. Whether it is a hat, chubby shorts, a flag, necklaces, face paint, nails, matching outfits, or a staple in your wardrobe, you cannot escape supporting the holiday in some way or another. You may not even try, but you will show pride sometime. Let freedom ring as it sings country songs, Miley Cyrus, and, of course, the national anthem. Today, we represent everyone from "the land of the free and the home of the brave."