4 Things That Need To Happen In 'Avengers 4'

Including the rise of Captain Marvel.

330

After the epic conclusion to "Avengers: Infinity War", moviegoers could be forgiven if they are a little impatient waiting until May 3, 2019. On that day, we will finally (hopefully) get the closure we need for the massive cliffhanger "Infinity War" left us with. That closure will be in the form of the (as of right now) yet-untitled fourth Avengers film.

There are lots of directions in which Marvel could take this Phase 3-ending movie; what follows is a list of some of the things we the fans NEED to see in the fourth Avengers movie. If you are one of the very few people who has not seen "Infinity War" yet, be warned:

SPOILERS FOLLOW AFTER THIS GIF!

1. The resurgence of Carol Danvers

The last Marvel movie to be released before the fourth Avengers film will be "Captain Marvel". Starring Brie Larson, the film is set in the 90s and follows Danvers, an Air Force pilot who, after being exposed to Kree technology, becomes a superheroine.

We already know Danvers will probably play a role in the Avengers' second effort against Thanos, since "Infinity War's" end scene showed Nick Fury sending that well-timed pager message to her. What we don't know is why she has been absent in all Marvel catastrophes prior to now; expect her film to explain that. We will first meet the character weeks before she reappears in "Avengers 4"; by that point, Marvel has her character be the one that puts the squad over the top in the battle against the Mad Titan.

After all, "Wonder Woman" proved that it's LONG past due for us to start having female representation in our superhero films, and Captain Marvel is one of the most powerful heroes of all.

2. Cap and Tony laying it all on the line

Half of the Avengers (and the universe at large) died at a snap of Thanos' fingers at the end of "Infinity War". Somehow, the providence of the universe (or the writers) just so happened to leave virtually all of the original heroes alive. Meanwhile, those introduced more recently (such as Spider-Man and Black Panther) were reduced to dust. For reasons both based in story and in finance ("Black Panther" might end up making more money than "Infinity War", incredibly), we know that somehow Thanos' snap will be reversed (at least, I think).

If that very likely reversal does happen, though, Marvel will probably still have to have some characters die, or else it would look as if the Avengers are entirely immune to stakes. Based both on their actors' expiring contracts, as well as on their characters' significant mortality, it makes sense that both Captain America and Iron Man would die in the next film. Marvel needs to create a scenario where one or both characters give their lives to ensure the safety of the universe.

For Cap, it would befit the personality of his character, seeing as his first film ended with taking down a plane and sacrificing himself (somehow surviving in a block of ice for decades) to save millions. And for Iron Man, it would be a way to finish his character arc, with Tony finally atoning for the sins of Ultron and Sokovia that subtly seemed to haunt his character.

3. More time with Thanos' philosophy

The Mad Titan is quite the utilitarian. His deranged philosophy does, somehow, come from a good place, even if it is the least imaginative and most evil way to solve the universe's problem. He believes that by eliminating the population of half of the universe entirely at random, those who remain will be able to thrive like never before.

"Infinity War" is, to some extent, a movie about Thanos, and while I believe the sequel will (and should) focus a little more on the remaining heroes, Thanos should remain central. The film could feature Thanos using the Time Stone to try and convince the Avengers that the universe, halved as it currently is in the MCU, will be more peaceful that way. Regardless of what happens, keeping up with the purple giant ensures that we get a battle not just between superpowered heroes and villains, but also between competing ideologies of right and wrong.

4. Hawkeye, Ant-Man, and The Wasp

To quote a certain "Dodgeball" announcer, these three characters' "absence was noticeable" in "Infinity War". You could argue that having Hawkeye fight against Thanos and his army would be implausible, but then again... So is having Black Widow in the fight. Honestly, Captain America would quickly be mincemeat as well (see point number 2). And yet... His intelligence and skill could lend themselves to an interesting plot point in the next film.

The same goes for Ant-Man and The Wasp, whose films (titled after both characters) this summer may reveal further where both characters were during Thanos' assault. Their ability to shrink and avoid detection could be a powerful tool when fighting a 12-foot tall behemoth in Thanos.

If these characters survived the snap (and I'm running on the presumption that at least one did), each brings something interesting to the team that the other remaining characters don't: These three all have close family ties (whether kids, as with Ant-Man and Hawkeye, or a parent, as with The Wasp). If those family members were killed in the snap, you can bet that they will be joining the fight against Thanos.