Formal Season Senior Year Is A Whole New Ball Field Compared To Freshman Year

Ah college formal, a night full of fun, humorous chaos, laughter, embarrassing dance moves, and downright craziness.

47
flickr

Ah, college formal, a night that rivals the cringe-worthy high school prom in so many ways.

It is a night full of fun, humorous chaos, laughter, embarrassing dance moves, and downright craziness. It is a night where stressed-out college students can let loose and dance like no one's watching, get impeccably dressed up as if they were going to the Grammy awards, and create memories that they'll (hopefully) remember for the rest of their lives.

As a senior, I have been to my fair share of formals over the years and can attest to the above description of them for sure. Each one was definitely a night to remember! And also are some of the best memories I have of college.

Here's what formal night is generally like from the perspective of a freshman vs. a senior.

1. The invitation

Freshman year: Wow this sounds amazing!! It's going to be just like prom but even better now that I'm in college! It's going to be a sophisticated, elegant night and everything's going to be like it is in the movies. I'm going to feel like a princess!

Senior year: Oh boy, another formal. What shenanigans will happen this year? I hope we don't get kicked out of the venue. This is honestly going to be like prom meets a Vegas nightclub.

Hopefully, the music is great and not full of lame Middle School throwbacks. Hoping to avoid any silly drama and just enjoy the night. But hey, I get to enjoy the bar this year! I hope there's pizza too.

2. The dress

Freshman year: Oh my gosh I have about 5 tabs open on my computer with about a dozen dresses saved on each. I need to outdo everyone and make sure I look better than the prom queen at my senior prom. My girlfriends are giving me so many different opinions I don't know who to listen to. I swear Becky better not match me... Crap, I don't have that much money either.

Maybe if I beg, my parents will feel bad and help me buy the dress. It has to be perfect. I'm 18, I'm an adult now, so I need an adult dress to show off how much I've changed since my high school days. So glad I'm getting this dress two months in advance, plenty of time to plan the rest of my look.

Senior year: I want to make sure my dress won't be uncomfortable like last year. Comfort and durability is key. What the heck was I thinking freshman year with this one?? Or that one? My whole closet needs a makeover I had such poor taste. I definitely need something flattering that I can dance in that won't break the bank... I looked for about 10 minutes online and found one that's not only affordable but in my favorite color. Great!

I have two weeks until the event – hopefully this ships in time! I'll just wear the same old shoes as last year and I have everything else already. I'm more concerned with having fun than how I actually look, though this is my last formal so I do want to look my best. Hopefully, no one will notice that I've worn the same exact color two formals in a row now...

3. The date

Freshman year: Ok, who do I even ask to this?? Should I let my friends set me up with that cute senior or should I bring my guy friend from down the hall? I could be bold and ask my crush, I honestly don't know what to do. Just need someone who I know I'll have a great time with!

Senior year: Ok, I have a good idea of who I'd like to bring, hopefully, he won't be busy that night, though of course, I won't know until I ask. Just need someone who I know I'll have a great time with!

4. Figuring out the pre-formal plans

Freshman year: This group chat is so organized. I can't wait to get all dolled up with my girls. Sally said we can get a ride with her over to where everyone else is meeting and that they have everything we need there.

Apparently, our dates won't be joining us until before we leave, but I thought we would head over together. He wants to make sure our colors match just right, aww haha. I wish I had a car. It would make this whole part of the night easier. I wish more of us lived on campus rather than all over the surrounding town. What if I forget something? The older girls might think I'm annoying if I ask to borrow anything that I happen to forget. I hope everyone gets along. I honestly don't know what to expect during this part.

Senior year: Ok, I really would like to know the set plan. It is tomorrow after all. I don't know where I'm even meeting everyone or when. Don't really know what to tell my date either. Should we just head over to my bestie's place beforehand? Or will the plans be formalized later? I'll just get what I need beforehand in case these plans fall through last minute and I end up going somewhere off campus.

5. Getting ready

Freshman year: (Been up since 8 a.m.). Ok, so now that I took the longest shower ever, I need to make sure my hair is done just right, skin is moisturized, and nails are perfectly manicured. I've pinned about 5 different hairstyles but can't decide on one, maybe my friends can help me later. My dress needs to be steamed. I'm only eating soup today. I can't look bad tonight I just can't. Is my makeup ok? Maybe I'll redo my eyeliner. How much perfume is too much? Gahhhh I'm so nervous.

I hope my date thinks I'm pretty. I hope I look just as nice as everyone else there. What if they're all in long gowns and I'm the only one in a mini dress? I'll re-brush my hair before I go. Maybe I should curl it? No, straighten it. Is this lipstick too much? Maybe I'll bring all of my different lipstick shades over in case I change my mind. Oh man, I only have an hour left to get ready!

Senior year: (wakes up at 10 a.m. after a long night out) Well, I guess I'll start getting ready. I'll just straighten my hair, it's easier. Curls are a pain. Let's see, I think my red lipstick will do for tonight. To save time I'll just do my makeup now and fix it later. I don't want to rush around like crazy.

Ok, here are my shoes, there's my bag, time to pack for the pre-party. Already let my date know the plans, now to just find a ride over to where everyone's meeting. I'll bring some extra dresses and makeup in case some of the other girls need anything last minute.

6. The pre-party

Freshman year: What the heck is going on? Why is everyone going crazy? Oh geez, please don't spill on me I just bought this dress. There's no room to even move here. Crap I lost my date in this crowd. Where's my bestie? She's my ride for the night. Ok, just relax. Everything's going to turn out fine.

Oh, maybe I'll get in some pictures before we head over. Crap, I'm running out of things to talk about with my date. He must think I suck. Ughhh maybe I'll stuff my face with food so I won't have to talk. Did I have enough to eat and drink? I don't want to have too much or too little. No one really told me what to expect at this thing.

Senior year: What the heck is going on? Why is everyone going crazy? Oh geez, please don't spill on me I just bought this dress. There's no room to even move here. Haha, this is hilarious. I feel so old watching all of these freshmen go nuts. If I only drink a little now I'll be able to enjoy the bar later. Gosh, some of these couples are cringe-worthy. Aww reminds me of how awkward I was my freshman year.

My date seems happy to be here and is having fun too, glad I brought someone I get along with well. Going to sky the rest of this drink before we leave-crap I just spilled all over myself. Everyone saw. Eh, it's fine I'll just fix myself when I get there. If everyone could stop screaming and breaking things that would be nice... can we leave already?

7. The pictures

Freshman year: Ok, going to take one here, here, and here. We're going to do multiple poses so I can have a variety of pictures to choose from later. I need one with everyone!! I hope my date won't mind all these pictures or taking them for me. I need to document every part of the night!

Senior year: Ok, this background will be nice for couple pictures. Definitely need candids. I can't think of any poses right off the bat so I'll just improvise. Aww, these turned out nice! Now I need a dozen more with my close friends. Where did some of them go? I'll just take as many with everyone here as I can. It's my last formal I need to go all out picture-wise.

8. Arriving at the venue

Freshman year: Wowwww this place is amazing! Sure beats the gymnasium where I had prom in.

Senior year: Ok I've seen better, but this will do. Alright where can I find a table...the only free one is in the back? Seriously? Ok it's fine. It smells like cigarettes in here and these bouncers are giving me anxiety. I hope they don't notice how out of it I am...Awesome, the bar has my favorite drink! And there's like 20 pizzas! Woot! It's kind of dark. I hope my flash works.

9. Opinions on the music

Freshman year: Awww yeahhhh, I love this song! Takes me back to high school! Great to dance to as well.

Senior year: Awwwww crap, not this song...takes me back to high school and all the cringe-worthy moments that came with it. Well, I can still dance to it.

10. Dancing

Freshman year: Ok, how do I even dance...everyone's going to judge me so hard right now. Hope no one's taking pictures of me either. Can a slow song play? This is awkward ahhhh why can't I move like Shakira. Please, can the next song be a line dance. Geez, my date has no rhythm either haha oh well we can just be awkward together. This is actually pretty nice, I forgot how to let loose and just have fun

Senior year: I don't care how I look right now or who's watching. This song's got a great beat and I'm ready to dance like there's no tomorrow! Oh man, is my dress riding up...oh well, I'm enjoying this too much to care haha. It's my last formal – go big or go home.

11. Socializing

Freshman year: I don't really know anyone here besides my four friends and date. Maybe if I just sit down near a group I can get into their conversation. My date hasn't talked to anyone, maybe I'll introduce him to my friend's boyfriend and hope that they strike up a conversation. Can the music just get louder? Maybe we'll go dance again to pass the time. We still have 3 hours to go.

Senior year: I've never bonded this closely with everyone! We're all getting along so well and everyone's in a good mood. Oh good, my date found some friends of his to chat with. Everyone's mingling so well I'm so happy. Oh, gotta go help my friend fix her dress and then let another friend borrow my lipstick. So much is going on!

12. The end of the night

Freshman year: Awwww it's over already? Darn! I had such a great night and feel like I could keep dancing until the morning! What a nice time this was I can't wait until next year! Everyone had a fun time and my date seems happy. Yikes, gotta get up early tomorrow and do all my homework so I guess it's good that this ended when it did.

Senior year: Awww it's over already? Darn! I'm so sad it's done! Wait, where's my phone and purse?? (Spends ten minutes looking around before finding it in the bathroom). Oh gosh, my makeup and hair look horrendous but I'm too out of it to care right now. Holy crap has my bra been showing this whole night?? I think I went a little too hard. Should've toned it down two hours ago. It's only 11:30?? Feels like 3 am. Can everyone stop yelling it's making me dizzy.

Gotta find my date to say goodbye and to tell him thanks for a great night. (Almost trips on extension cord) Ok, where's my ride? Do I have everything? Well, phone charger's broken. I'll worry about it in the morning. Right now I just want to go to bed. No way in hell am I going to be up at 10 am tomorrow.

13. The next day

Freshman Year: (Wakes up at 9 a.m., goes to the gym, showers) Last night was great! I feel refreshed and ready to start editing pictures from last night. Going to meet some friends for lunch to talk about all the fun we had. Can't wait until the next one!

Senior Year: (Wakes up at noon, lounges in pjs, drinks a gallon of water and eats leftover pizza from the fridge). Wow, I feel like I've been hit by a bus. Haha aww, these pictures came out great! Oh my gosh, I'm remembering everything now. Geeezzzz! Going to shower and do my homework and post all these later. If my friends are feeling ok I'm sure we can all get together for dinner and talk about our night. Can I just stay in bed all day? I need today off completely to recharge. Worth it though! Definitely saved the best formal for last.

Formals are all about having endless fun and being carefree with your organization and friends. Cherish such nights, since events like these only happen in college. You'll certainly want to have something to look back on and laugh about years later!