Formal Chapter Attire Dos And Don'ts

Formal Chapter Attire Dos And Don'ts

4371

Some chapters are used to wearing formal or pin attire to every chapter meeting throughout the year, but other chapters are a little luckier because they have a few casual weeks, too. Sorority women seem to have a love/hate relationship with dressing up for chapter. Some hate it, some love it and there is rarely an in between. Regardless of which side you fall on, here is a list of dos and don’ts for your formal chapter attire.

DO wear heels or wedges. If you are wearing a really cute dress and flats or sandals, then you are not doing that dress any justice. The way to instantly class up an outfit is to add a pair of heels or wedges. They make you look like you actually care and, let’s face it, everyone’s legs look better in heels.

DON’T just put on a dress and leave everything else sloppy. If you have on an adorable outfit with no jewelry and your hair up in a wet messy bun like you just rolled out of bed, then you probably look the same as if you were wearing a t-shirt and Nike shorts. Fix your hair, at least put on a statement necklace and mascara never hurts. Nothing says, “I hate formal chapter” more than a good dress being masked by lack of effort everywhere else.

DO dress appropriately. It is a big room full of girls. There is no need to wear your short/tight skirt and have cleavage hanging out. On a Friday night your sisters might be jealous of that outfit, but on a Monday evening it is just not appropriate. I have a nice little separation in my closet of going out dresses and chapter dresses. Sometimes you can even get away with throwing a cardigan or blazer over a going out dress that has an appropriate length. A great place to find appropriate and really cute outfits is New York and Company.

DON’T use the excuse, “I’m just coming from class”. It’s not going to kill you to take five minutes and pull a dress and heels out of your backpack and throw them on in the bathroom right before meeting. Do it out of respect for the chapter and your sisters who do have to get ready.

If, heaven forbid, you do not want to do these things for your chapter, then do them for the cute fraternity boys who come in dressed in their best blazers to invite you to a mixer or their philanthropy events. Yes, they are nervous as all get out standing in front of all your gorgeous sisters, but guys still notice those things.