Forget Robots, Let's Talk About Amazon

Forget Robots, Let's Talk About Amazon

Amazon just recently purchased Whole Foods, adding the grocery industry to their list of specialties.

13
Forget Robots, Let's Talk About Amazon
ABC News

Who doesn't know Amazon? They're an online industry where you can buy or sell anything from a dog toy to a television. Amazon is a huge industry and they cover a wide range of products. Have you heard that they just bought Whole Foods for 13.7 billion dollars? With this purchase, I think we should stop worrying about robot domination but instead Amazon domination.

Amazon owns many businesses and they also have access to many industries within their own online service. A continuously growing industry is the music and video industry. We have access to programs like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video. With a subscription to Amazon, you have access to a ton of movies and you could also purchase movies or television shows if you wanted to. Not only this, but Amazon has their own Cloud, and ability to purchase and store music onto your account.

They're short on electronics, another continuously growing industry, but they do have the Kindle and Alexa. Alexa is much like Siri, but this programmed voice isn't in your phone. Alexa is a speaker type box that you can place in any area of your house. The AI (artificial intelligence) can search videos, music, weather, and anything that Siri can do.

Overall, Amazon has everything and anything. If Amazon doesn't have it, there are third party sellers who do and Amazon takes time to make sure that if someone doesn't mail you what you bought, you get your money back. Not only all this, but Amazon has their own credit card and I'm pretty sure you can get cash back on it and an extra $50.00 as a sign up bonus.

With the purchase of Whole Foods, it is projected that Amazon is going to change the grocery industry. Amazon has pretty good prices on whatever you buy and in addition, they are growing their AmazonFresh department. AmazonFresh is in New York and Chicago, along with a few other cities, but basically they deliver groceries right to your door.

Now, with Whole Foods, it is projected that Amazon will lower the store's prices and thus causing all other grocery stores to do the same or lose the game. So, places like Walmart, Target, and Giant Eagle will be the major ones to be effected by this. It'll be up to consumers to decide who gets to stay on top of the grocery game.

Also, since AmazonFresh is still picking up speed there may be some growth for the younger generations to not have to go to the store. We work hard every day and most people don't have to time to cook dinner let alone go grocery shopping at night. Low prices plus being able to get groceries delivered just sounds so appealing.

Amazon offers so much and for a pretty low price. With an Amazon Prime Membership, you only have to pay $99 a year or $10.99 a month. If you're a college student and can't afford that, they have an option for you, too. You can sign up for Amazon Prime Student and get six months of free Amazon and then get your Prime Membership for half price until you graduate college. Doesn't that sound amazing? Honestly though, Amazon just made a huge step and it may change a lot about how we live our lives today. I think Amazon is our robot apocolypse, it's just going a lot slower than I thought it would.