The Force Awakens In All 'Star Wars' Fans Once Again

'Star Wars' sequel leaves us wanting more.

12
Mashable.com

I have been a fan of "Star Wars" my entire life. When I was a little girl, my grandpa and I would watch the "Star Wars" saga over and over. We went together to see episodes II and III when I was young, and now we got to see this one together as well. "Star Wars" means a lot to me and my family. When I found out they were making another trilogy, I was ecstatic. The time has come, folks. “Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens” is now in theaters and in my opinion, is just as good as the original two trilogies.

I am very critical of sequels. They often create a hype that is never lived up to. “The Force Awakens” lived up to the hype.

According to CNN, "The Force Awakens" broke all kinds of records. For starters, the film broke the record for opening day, coming out with a total of $120.5 million. According to LA Times, accumulating $528 million in the very first weekend, "The Force Awakens" broke the box office debut record of $525 million set by "Jurassic World" earlier in 2015.

“The Force Awakens” is a Disney production. According to USA Today, George Lucas, the original writer and director of "Star Wars," sold his franchise, Lucasfilm, to Disney for $4 billion in 2012. I am all about Disney, but I did not think that Disney was worthy of possessing Lucasfilm or holding the title of the "Star Wars" saga. I did not think that they could successfully create another sequel to the "Star Wars" saga Lucas had once created. I was very, very wrong. Disney deserves a pat on the back for taking over Lucasfilm and fulfilling their responsibilities of producing a perfect sequel to a legendary series. So does the director, J.J. Abrams, who made this movie fit right in with the rest of them. He was able to bring "Star Wars" back to life.

Prior to the release of the film, Disney had sworn to keep the plot a secret from the media, and they kept their word. It was important to Disney to keep it a surprise and release as minimal of details about the plot and characters as possible. This made fans even more anxious to see it.

CNN media reporter, Frank Pallotta, saw the movie two days before opening night and said, “The event was shrouded in secrecy (I couldn't even tell people when and where I was going to see it and my phone was confiscated during the show). It felt more like a secret meeting than a screening for the press.”

I’m glad they kept it that way. It made the movie experience more enjoyable because the plot was unexpected and full of surprises.

"Star Wars" fanatics like myself were thrilled that they brought back some of the original actors of our much-loved characters from the original 1977 film. Han Solo, Leia Organa, and Luke Skywalker are still portrayed by Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamill. Although they are much older now, they fit perfectly into their old characters and made “The Force Awakens” special and meaningful to "Star Wars" fans who have long awaited this film. Chewbacca, R2-D2, and C3P0 are also in the spotlight in the film. It was nice to see some of the familiar faces back up on the big screen and watch how their relationships unravel. This time, with better special effects than ever.

The plot was shocking. "The Force Awakens" perfectly set the stage for the trilogy with a new story line with old ties. I will not give too much away for those of you who have not seen it, but we find out some very important details and witness a very sad death that tugs at the heart of fans. "The Force Awakens" continues into the next generation. Once again, a powerful family is torn apart by The Dark Side.

We are introduced to some great new characters who play their roles well, especially a newly discovered (possible) Jedi—a young woman named Rey. I can see great things happening with her character, especially after she is united with Luke Skywalker. The ending scene is breathtaking. Luke has no lines in the movie, but his single appearance in the last scene was enough to give me goosebumps. He is old, wise, and resembles a mixture of Yoda and Obi Wan, in my opinion. I think his role will be very important in the next film. By the end of the movie, you will have so many questions. There are so many things that need explaining. I am itching to see the next one.

With a high rating of 8.5/10 by Rotten Tomatoes, this movie was a great hit! I encourage everyone to see it, whether you are a fan of the "Star Wars" saga or not. It is filled with action, suspense, and humor. The Force was definitely awoken in this film, along with deep inner emotions brought out from the earleir films. Wait for the next one, I cannot. Go see this movie, and may the force be with you.