This Month Is For The Women

This Month Is For The Women

October marks one month dedicated to breast cancer awareness and this recognition is one of the most prominent involving cancer awareness. Whether you personally know someone or not who has battled through or is battling breast cancer it is important to give awareness to this cause.

85
Personal photo

1 out of 8 women battle breast cancer.

Sadly, it is so common now to personally know several women that have been diagnosed with breast cancer. Whether it was an easier path for them or a more difficult one, I always came to this month of October and prayed for the women out there that have been given this terrible hand. Selfishly, I was always so thankful I never had a family member go through something so unfair and that recently all changed.

This past September my mom told me she was diagnosed with breast cancer.

I came home from college for a weekend needing some family time and was so thankful I took the drive home. I will never forget when she sat my sister and I down and told us that she went in for her routine check-up and received a call to go back and do further testing. She is diagnosed with Stage 1 Breast Cancer. Luckily, it was caught very quickly. I remember crying and having a really hard time knowing I had to leave my mom while she would be battling something so personal. She asked us to pray every night and keep our heads up high knowing that it would be difficult but she would be okay. My mom's surgery is coming up at the end of this October and I couldn't be more proud of the way she has handled the stress of this news. She has balanced work and travel and her family and now breast cancer. This entire month of October I have been in awe of my mom and other women that are in her same situation. These women deal with such unfortunate circumstances and still go on each day with such grace and strength.

We have some of the greatest role models in the world standing right in front of us.

I am so fortunate enough to have a mom like mine who has shown me with her own two hands how to fight for what she wants and what she believes in. This month of October should be celebrated for every woman out there that has worked so hard to get where they are today, become a mother, hold families together, and continue to grow as an individual.

October marks one month dedicated to breast cancer awareness and this recognition is one of the most prominent involving cancer awareness. Whether you personally know someone or not who has battled through or is battling breast cancer it is important to give awareness to this cause. Wearing pink, joining a team to walk and raising money are all ways to start spreading awareness to further research and hopefully, one day decrease the chances of women young and old battling this. There are hundreds of companies you can research that support the month of October and give all the proceeds to breast cancer research foundations like beauty companies, clothing brands, restaurants and more - do the research and dip into ways you can help out.

Saying I am proud of my mom is an understatement. I am beyond proud and thankful. This month is truly for all the women out there who have had this ongoing battle of something they cannot control. There are some strong fighters out there and my mom is one of them.