'Meeting Your Step Goal' And 12 Other Things People Who Have Experience In The Food Industry Know To Be True

It's hard. But it's SO worth it.

185

I've only been working in the food industry for a total of three months now. But in that time I have learned a lot about what it takes to do it. The skill, the patience, and how hard it is to actually be a waitress.

One of the best ways to earn money as a young adult is by working in a restaurant. Working in a restaurant is unique and may change certain aspects of your personality to make you heartier and able to deal with all sorts of people.

If you've ever worked in the food industry (whether as a waitress/waiter or behind the scenes cooking, managing etc.) here are 13 things you definitely know to be true.

1. You will probably go home smelling like the food you served (or cooked) that night

food

Pizza, chicken, beef bourguignon, burgers, and more.

2. You WILL spill or break something at some point

broken glass

You will break a glass or plate (sometimes both). You will spill wine, beer, water, etc down your shirt. And you will forget someone's order. It happens. It's inevitable. And you can't do much about it.

3. You interact with TONS of different people

serving

Old or young, rich or poor, and rude or kind, etc. All of these different types of people and more.

4. The leftovers!!!

leftovers

Chances are if you work in the food industry, you might, at some point, get a chance to take home leftover and they're usually pretty good.

5. Rude customers or people in general

rude

Not everyone you meet/serve/encounter and so on are going to be nice people. It's a part of the job sometimes.

6. Knowing or memorizing the menu

menu

And then (or if) a guest ask being able to recite it back or explain what is in each item.

7. Standing on your feet during 6-8 hour shifts is surprisingly decent exercise

Not only are you standing, but you're also walking a TON. Fun Fact: the most amount of steps I've recorded so far from working an eight-hour shift is just over 15,000 steps!! (pictured above)

8. A LOT of food is thrown away

food waste

Like a lot. It's kinda sad. One of the major things that I have taken away from Working on the food industry is just how much food is actually thrown away, or not eaten, especially when it comes to a buffet.

9. Passing apps is one of the best parts

appetizers

Not only do you get to interact more with people, but you get to see the enjoyment of the people you are passing them to.

10. The unique lingo

words

I think my favorite part of working in the food industry for the past few months has been learning all the new lingo and ways that things are done.

11. Resiliency

resilient

Time can either go by super fast or super slow. Depending on what you are doing and especially during dinner service. In addition to being fast-paced, restaurants or events are also sometimes demanding.

12. The difficulty of carrying plates or a tray

carrying plates

Trust me! It's harder than it looks.

13. Learning how to set a table for a fancy party

table setting

One of the many things you will never forget. On the fine dining side of the food industry, you learn how to properly set a table for a big party. (Note: the picture above is just one of the many ways to do so. Also, you won't always need every piece of silverware or glassware that you have.)