'Fat Is Bad' And Other Food Fallacies You've Been Told

Commons beliefs about food that just aren't true.

126

1. Cutting carbs causes weight loss.

Let’s set this straight once and for all. CARBS ARE NOT BAD. In fact, they’re really freaking delicious, and you should definitely eat them... in all their forms. It is common for individuals to experience weight loss after cutting starchy carbs such as bread, rice, and pasta (news flash: fruit and vegetables are sources of carbs as well) from their diets. As a result, they assume that their decreased weight is in direct correlation with their lack of carbs. However, correlation is not causation, and when it comes to weight loss the only thing that truly matters is that you’re burning more calories than you’re consuming regardless of where those calories are coming from. So, go ahead, be a little crazy. Eat that pasta.

2. Brown rice is healthier than white rice.

A common belief is that certain starches such as brown rice or sweet potatoes are healthier than their paler alternatives. However, the “healthiness” of a certain food is entirely dependent upon each consumer’s individual dietary needs. For example, white rice and brown rice have extremely similar nutrient compositions, but brown rice is often praised for its high fiber content. While consuming adequate amounts of fiber is crucial for our health, consuming too much has just as many negative repercussions. Therefore, white rice might be a better option for someone who must consume a lot of calories to maintain their weight while brown rice may be better suited for someone trying to consume less food as fiber helps keep us fuller longer. Both options have ample benefits, and their consumption should come down to personal preference not misguided beliefs.

3. Eating more protein leads to weight loss.

It cannot be denied that protein is an essential part of every diet. It is crucial for muscle building, maintenance, and repair. It provides our bodies with energy, helps fight infections, and works to keep us fuller longer. However, protein should not be used to replace carbs and fats in a diet as all three food groups are necessary to maintain health. In fact, our bodies cannot properly digest excess amounts of protein, and it is excreted through our urine. As a result, those who forgo consuming complex carbs and healthy fats in place of protein deny their bodies essential vitamins and nutrients, ultimately reaping no additional benefits from the excess protein.

4. Certain food items are "bad" and should not be consumed.

This mentality is common among dieters, as foods such as doughnuts, ice cream, cake, and cookies are often attributed as causing weight gain. This mindset creates a negative and unhealthy attitude towards food as it demonizes certain items, causing guilt when they are consumed. But, have no fear! These items are not “bad.” In fact, they’re great! Who doesn’t love a freshly glazed doughnut or a nice warm cookie? These foods do not directly lead to weight gain and can be consumed as part of a healthy and balanced diet (even if one is trying to lose weight). The secret again lies in the balance of calories within the foods being consumed not the foods themselves. The problem with these foods is that they are typically extremely calorie dense while containing little to no fiber which leads us to eat large amounts without feeling full. Eating a balanced diet with plenty of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and fiber should help to keep you full and satisfied, but if you’re still craving something “bad” go for it! Just be mindful of how much you’re eating.

5. Eating fat makes you fat.

WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. FAT IS SO IMPORTANT. Fat allows for vitamin absorption, insulation, blood clotting, and more. It provides us with energy, and works to keep our hair and skin looking and feeling healthy. Like all things, too much fat can be bad, and the types of fats being consumed should be monitored. However, they should not be cut out of our diets completely. Salmon, nuts, seeds, avocados, and oils are all great options for healthy sources of fats that can easily be incorporated into a well-rounded diet, but don’t be scared to pick that juicy piece of steak or big tub of ice cream every once in a while instead. Balance, my friends, is the secret to success.