Food Etiquette You Should Know By Now

Food Etiquette You Should Know By Now

What's ok and what's not? Find out here, and stop offending your friends.
43

If you’re living with a bunch of college students and trying to eat healthier, you can relate to what I have to say.  Listen up.  You could be seriously hurting someone’s feelings.

1.   “What is that?!” 

If you are going to ask someone what he or she are eating, make sure to open with a positive comment.  Like, “Wow, that looks awesome, what is it?” Or “Ooo what smells good?!”  Even if you have good intentions, the question sounds offensive.  It can really hurt someone who is trying to eat healthier or someone who is new at cooking/ preparing food.  Be a supportive, positive friend.

a.     If you are curious to get some good cooking ideas:  Be excited and open with your intentions.  Saying something like I’d love to hear how you made that, I’ve been thinking about experimenting in the kitchen more”.  Or, “I am trying to learn more about cooking, your dinner looks like something I want to know about!” are great ways to be polite and supportive about their choices.

b.  If their food looks like vom:  Keep your mouth shut.  Completely ignore it.  It can be tempting to let out a big “Egh! What is that?!”  But that it seriously hurtful and rude.  That person could be eating his great grandmother’s award winning tuna noodle casserole, and it would be seriously offensive to insult him and his grandmother for being disgusted with the way his food looks. 

1.     "May I try some?”:

Seemingly innocent.  Always rude.  No matter how much the person has or how good it looks, wait for the offer.  If you mess with a dog while it is eating, it will bite you.  If the person isn’t particularly hungry or isn’t planning on eating all of whatever it is that they are eating, than I am sure they are bound to offer.

a.    If the person does offer: your reaction to the food can still hurt their feelings.  Be sure to be cautious of facial expression, and what you say when the food that you tried makes you want to kick a bunny.  Keep a poker face and thank them for the taste.  They went out of their way to be generous and share with you, and the last thing you should do is scowl and frown.

b.If they ask you what you think: Be politely honest!  But only if they ask.  Don’t ever take a taste and make a face like you have a worm in your mouth.  Totally rude.

Stating your opinion:

a. If your friend is eating something you hate saying, “Ew, I hate _____” or “wow, I can’t stand ___” is downright offensive and rude.  An easy rule to remember is to keep your mouth shut unless you have something nice to say.  Just like your mom always said, “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”

b. If you don't like it: A good way to be honest and polite would be to say, " Thank you for the taste, but I think I like other things better" or "That was nice of you to share, but I'm just not a huge fan of tuna."  Be sure to start with something kind, and to end with something completely to do with you.  So, saying something like, "Thank you, but I don't like food that tastes like vom" makes it sound like it is the foods fault that you don't like it, when in fact it is your unique preference, so be sure to make it about you, not the food.

c. If you have really good eating habits but you can't say no to your friend's famous chili cheese steak, go ahead, have a bite.  It won't kill you.  Maybe in the future when you realize that chili cheese steak makes you feel like crap and give you gas, you will be able to say, "no, thanks for the offer though!" confidently.

Bottom line: stay positive!  Nobody will want to eat with you if they are afraid of your comments- nobody likes a negative Nancy.  If your friends are bugging you, picking food off your plate or questioning your food, show them this article.  I'm sure it'll help them keep their mouth shut. :)  Happy dining!