Food Brings People Together

Food Brings People Together

How one meal can change the whole day

51
Food Brings People Together
Samantha Gregg

I love to cook. It's that simple, I love to cook. Now it's not my livelihood, but I thoroughly enjoy the whole cooking process. Lately I have been trying new things, experimenting in the kitchen, and feeding my friends and family along the way. The old saying is very true, food brings people together.

But food does so much more than that. Food unites people, connecting them over a hot meal. People loosen up, they let their guard down, they become relaxed. I cook for other people. I love sharing what I make. The smiles on peoples faces, the warm feeling in the air, and the blissful silence that occurs because everyone is savoring their meal.

I have been cooking for many years now, and last year as a freshman in college, I helped cook for my whole floor. My roommate and I set aside one weekend a month and collected money to pay for ingredients. We then set to work in the kitchen and prepared a family style dinner for the dorm floor. When the food was ready, everyone came out of their rooms and filed into our small lounge, all of us scrunched around one table.

Some of my best memories of my freshman year were these family dinner nights. Everyone was able to forget their issues. The stress of a test went away, the focus on a homework assignment disappeared, and the tension of everyday life vanished the moment they took their first bite.

Food truly brings people from all walks of life together. Even if cooking isn't your "thing," I strongly encourage to give it a few shots. Not every thing you pull out of the oven will be amazing, but you will get there. Cooking is a way to break down barriers. So, heat up the oven and get cookin'! Bon appetit!