FOMO, The Fear Of Missing Out

FOMO, The Fear Of Missing Out

Greek life can be hard; taking 19 credit hours can definitely lead to a FOMO experience.

15

FOMO - it is an abbreviation for Fear Of Missing Out. What it means is that you don't want to see people posting Instagram pictures, or taking Snapchat videos, of the date party you decided to skip because you know you'll feel all alone. You'll also think that you're the only one who didn't go, and because of that, you are missing out on all the fun.

I'm going to stop you right there though - you're not missing out. Think about it, most of the time people go to date parties to find someone new to hook up with. Or they go to dance the night away on a sticky floor, ruining their shoes. Clothing gets ruined because people drink and they always spill. Their eardrums are being blasted away by the extremely loud music; they will also wake up in the morning with absolutely no voice because they had to scream to hear each other talk but also to sing the songs. There are scratches and bruises you won't be able to explain from running around all night after the party. No doubt someone will cry. And there is always a fight that ruins the whole evening.

None of that sounds fun. Sure, there are positives - you bond with your sisters, you make new Greek life friends from the fraternity, the food that is served is delicious (and not nutritious), the pictures that are taken make you look really good - even if you're wearing a ridiculous outfit -, the girl that cries (most likely) isn't you, and you're definitely not the one getting punched.  But for those of you not going to the date party, don't worry. It is up to you to decide if the negatives outweigh the positives, but if they do, there will always be another party. Always. 

Don't think that you need to give up studying for a test because everyone is going out. Don't think that skipping out on seeing your parents will be fine because "everyone's mom said they could!" College is the time to be your own person. This is the place where you truly find out who you are, and if partier doesn't make the cut, that is perfectly OK. 

Fear Of Missing Out can be real if you let it. There will be times when you regret not going somewhere, but just think about what you're skipping it for. If it's because you haven't had a chance to watch Netflix all week, that's cool. You deserve "Me Time. "If it's because of homework, that's cool too. Grades are important. 

Just be real with yourself. Yes, it can suck seeing other people having fun, but you're enjoying the blasting of your own music while eating everything in the house. Yes, it may make you think that you're missing out on something spectacular, but you're not there so obviously it couldn't be that great. Just always enjoy whatever you decide to do and own it. You do you - 100%.