On Deciding To Follow Your Heart Or Faith

Let go and let God.

97

In my generation, I watch myself and those around me lose sight of their faith. We get caught up in our stressful journey to our future and forget to let our worries go to our ultimate leader. We find ourselves falling for words not actions. We instantly begin to worry as soon as something isn’t going the way “we think it should go.” We forget that we cannot control our future, our faith is what controls it. We also forget to look to God when we are defeated or to look to Him in thanks.

Our hearts are filled with emotions that mask us from being led by our faith. We find ourselves deciding in situations without letting ourselves go to prayer. Our hearts are compasses that lead us to places that are often times not meant to be. Instead of allowing our hearts to lead us, let our hearts be led by our faith. They were designed to believe in the Lord in which we believe.

Therefore, don’t believe in your heart; direct your heart to believe in God. Don’t follow your heart; follow Jesus. Note that Jesus did not say to his disciples, “Let not your hearts be troubled, just believe in your hearts.” He said, “Let not your hearts be troubled, believe in God; believe also in me” (John 14:1).

Take the wants in your heart and bring them to the Lord as requests. He holds the compass to the future He planned for us since we were created by Him. Jesus is your shepherd (Psalm 23). Listen to his voice in his word and follow him (John 10:27). Let him be, in the words of a great hymn, the “heart of your own heart whatever befall.” He is the truth; he is the way, and he will lead you to life (John 14:6).

Rather than trust our own hearts, we are to commit our hearts to God: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight” (Proverbs 3:5-6). This passage gives at command not to trust ourselves. And it gives the promise of guidance to those who choose to follow the Lord.

As my generation is going through many difficult choices such as choosing a career path, finding the “one whom their soul loves,” or how to get through simple life problems; we need to learn to be led by our faith not by our hearts. In order to live the journey, the Lord has planned for us, we must have faith in him. As we struggle to decide what major to declare or what job to take as we have offers, give your worries up to God. As we meet new people to date, evaluate them by following your faith not your heart. Your heart may love them and think they are perfect, but God knows what is best for the both of you. What is meant to be will happen if you place your fate in the hands of God.

Let us not turn our backs on our Lord due to whimsical feelings in our hearts. Take those feelings in our hearts to the Lord and pray to Him asking for guidance. Instead of looking down at your problems, look up for help. Learn to let go and let God.

“So I’ll stand with arms high and heart abandoned, in awe of the One who gave it all. So I’ll stand, my soul Lord to You surrendered, All I am is Yours.” -Hillsong United