I Am Royally Obsessed With The Royal Family, Let Me Live

Who cares about the royal baby? Well apparently a lot of people.

101
Youtube

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past two weeks, you know that the third royal baby was just born! Little prince Louis made his first appearance on April 23rd. The second me and my co-workers heard about the birth we anxiously anticipated the announcement of the new prince's name; constantly refreshing our news app every chance we got. We even made an office-wide poll on what the name was going to be and when they would announce it.

I’ve also been anticipating the royal wedding of Prince Harry to Meghan Markle on May 19th! And you better believe that even though it is a Saturday, I will be up ridiculously early with my snacks and wine and watch the coverage of the wedding on the TV in my PJs all day.

When Prince William married Kate Middleton in 2011, I was 14 years old and was forced to go to school even though I begged my mom to let me stay home and watch the wedding. Luckily, my teacher had the TV on in the classroom and we were able to watch a little bit of it. As I gushed over Kate’s dress and the whole wedding, there was a boy next to me who said, “who cares?” The same thing happened just the other day when I was talking to my friends about the baby and someone walked by and said, “who cares?”

Well, first of all, to all those people: I care. Second of all, obviously people care or it wouldn’t be a trending story across the world.

This reaction from people is something I like to call the "Kardashian conundrum." Much like the Royals, the Kardashian’s make headlines with every new marriage and every new baby and they are the closest thing we have to compare to the Royals in my opinion. Much like the Royals, many people view them as overrated and undeserving of their status. But, I have a theory as to why these two families spark so much interest from the public even today...

Inside all of us, there is a desire to see how the other half lives. We want to see those who have the best of the best, the outfits, the cars, the glamours dresses; we all have a natural curiosity to see them and see their things. We want to know what they are doing, what they are up to, who they are hanging out with... And deep down, we’d like to imagine what it would be like to be in their place and have what they have. However, much like the royal family, anytime a Kardashian wedding or baby makes headlines there are always the people who inevitably say, “who cares?”

I’m not one of those people that throws around the term “rude” lightly, because it’s one of my least favorite adjectives of all time. But saying “who cares” when someone is just plain rude no matter what the topic. Just because something is not interesting to you does not mean it shouldn’t be interesting to others.

Yes, I am bored with my life and like to live vicariously through celebrities and TV personalities. But come on, who doesn’t? The Kardashian’s are on their 14th season and over two billion people watched the royal wedding worldwide in 2011. It’s a topic of conversation that you can choose to not be a part of. You may feel like the Royal Family is an outdated tradition, but for a lot of people, it represents a dream and a window into another life. As a history buff, I love the idea that when I watch the royal wedding, I will be watching a part of history. So, let the people who feel the way I feel enjoy it. Because I care.