I Don't Follow Directions

I Don't Follow Directions

Swim upstream, it is more of a challenge but it is rewarding in the end!

7
DNC Action Committee

At a young age, people thought I was a little too aggressive. I was called annoying, crazy, and sometimes even a burden. I spoke real loud, I talked too much, and whether I was right or wrong, I expressed my opinion openly and with gumption. Every Time I was to enter a room, I had to crack a joke or say something in regards to what I saw. There was no filter. Directions were nothing but a suggestion to me. In school, when cooking, or even playing a sport. I never took them seriously. I would listen, take it into consideration, but ultimately I did what I thought was best. Some may say this is a bad characteristic, especially being an athlete. Well I say, it has done nothing but kept my mind open and curious. The ones who often disrupt class, turn into the best leaders. They have the ability to capture the attention of their peers. Positively or Negatively, they are leaders.

As we grow older, our imaginations tend to close off. There is less of a curiosity to find out more. We lose our childhood aspiration, our ideas, and our dreams. We end up being a boxed in, programed, day-in-day-out breed of people. Our priorities are making money and spending money. We very rarely actually build relationships without a personal gain. Networking is a business attitude. We build community in hopes of one day needing that person down the road. Bridges are hard to burn when you need something across the river. Self affirmation is a key component to a relationship. I enjoy affirmation as well, I just do not seek it. I wouldn’t say I am hungry for confrontation, but I am starving for conversation. I love to be told I am wrong if there are valuable points. I love to express where I am coming from on an issue and how I came to my decision.

Another part of growing up, is following the usual path. We are taught to walk, talk, and use the bathroom. Then, as we grow even older, we are taught to go to school, learn to drive, and eventually go to college. The teaching then falls into expectation. We are expected to go to college, get a degree, and to then find a place in this world. That place, in which we will live, work, and build our new family. Without hesitation, the cycle then continues. There is little room for detours. We must follow this path to become a successful human race? Am I right? If it was up to me, I would do everything I was told I couldn’t. If somebody told me I couldn’t become a lawyer, I am going to do it. If somebody challenged my ability to succeed in athletics, I would make sure they eat their words. In a world full of currents, I would be the fish fighting upstream. There is no reason to be the ordinary. To follow directions every day, is to conform to society. Be that small percentage. Question everything. Look for a different path. Challenge yourself. We have too many rules, be the exception.