6 Ways to Celebrate Fall in Florida

6 Ways to Celebrate Fall in Florida

How to still feel festive in the heat.

5
6 Ways to Celebrate Fall in Florida

As someone from the north who moved to Florida in my teens, one of the most depressing times of the year is fall. You expect it to get colder and the leaves to change color, but all you get is the same boiling heat.

In Florida, fall is basically just a second summer, but there are still ways to get into the fall spirit.

1. Enjoy pumpkin-themed cold foods

Flickr

While people up north are enjoying warm pumpkin spice lattes and pumpkin cakes, Floridians get to enjoy pumpkin ice cream and pumpkin-flavored iced coffee.

They're both different, but equally as good.

2. Visit Halloween Horror Nights

Flickr

Floridians get to experience Halloween movies and shows in a way no one else can with Universal's Halloween Horror Nights (unless you live in another part of the world with Universal Studios).

If you're not easily scared, head to the park to experience crazy visual effects and some real-life jump scares.

3. Go to haunted locations

If you don't want to spend the money on Universal, there are plenty of real-world "actually haunted" places across Florida (if you believe in that sort of thing).

Places like the St. Augustine Lighthouse and "psychic capital of the world" Cassadaga have a lot of history and opportunities to experience a real-life haunting.

4. Go to a farmer's market and/or pumpkin patch

Farmer's markets are fun to go to year-round, but there's something about going during the fall season that feels different.

Also, many places that usually do farmer's markets host pumpkin patches during the fall, which though warmer than usual, still gets you into the spirit of the season.

There's no way being surrounded by pumpkins can't get you into the spirit.

5. Visit a corn maze and pumpkin patch

Unsplash

There are actually way more corn mazes in Florida than you might think! This is a classic fall activity that you can do anywhere (if you're creative enough). Just bring some sunscreen!

6. Go to a scary movie screening

Since it's not cold outside, many places do outdoor screenings of Halloween movies. Just bring a picnic blanket and enjoy! Or if you prefer A/C, there are plenty of indoor screenings available too.