Fashion Flashback: Styles From the Middle School Years

We've Come a Long Way

19

As I was cleaning out my closet to make room for new clothes, I came across some memorable items. The first thing I picked up was a hot pink sweatshirt made out of terry cloth with a bedazzled "J" serving as the zipper. I turned it over to make sure the words "Madame Juicy" still existed in purple writing, even if they were a bit faded. I was about to put it back in my dresser when I saw the remnants of a stain that I had attempted to cover up with a hot pink sharpie marker six years ago. At the time, I thought the idea was genius. Now, I noticed that my sharpie cover-up looked like a quarter-size blob of different shades of pink mixed with a brownish stain. Even though it was extremely difficult to part with a sweatshirt that made me feel like an unstoppable fashion queen throughout my middle school years, I realized it served its time in my closet and must be thrown out. As I threw it in the trash, a blend of different Victoria's Secret Pink body sprays, as well as the Britney Spears and Roxy Perfumes seeped into my nose--I then accepted the fact that I would never see the sweatshirt again.

I continued cleaning out my closet, and I came across many other items I had that were consistently worn by the vast majority of middle school girls. I am still shocked that some of the ridiculous clothes we wore as preteens were considered "fashionable" at the time:

1. Juicy Couture Sweatshirts/Jumpsuits

hercampus.com

Let's face it. We all dreamed of having a multitude of different color Juicy Couture sweatshirts, and the coolest was when girls had the matching bottoms as well. These super flashy, sometimes even bedazzled sweatshirts can now be found at Kohl's--oh how times have changed.

2. Abercrombie/Hollister labeled tees

theodysseyonline.com

They were just so tight, like another layer of skin. I would save up for weeks in order to buy a $50 t-shirt labeled with a giant "ABERCROMBIE" and I was thrilled when I finally made the purchase. My growing collection of the labelled shirts in an assortment of styles and colors never stopped me from wearing the same five every single week. Even when holes formed and they became completely see-through, these tees stayed with me throughout my middle school years.

3. Uggs

alivecampus.com

Uggs were a girl's best friend. Every single girl strolled the middle school hallways wearing Uggs throughout the winter season. Funky colors, patterns, and different editions were fully acceptable to wear. The more colors you had to match the rest of your outfit, the more envious other girls would get. Even though Uggs are still worn for their cozy comfort today, they are no longer a fashion must during the winter.

4. Adidas Sneakers

ebay.com

These shoes were considered "cute" sneakers; not the sneakers you work out in, but the ones you wear with any outfit for the school day. It is unknown how such a simple sneaker became so iconic within the middle school community. In fact, this sneaker came in several colors, making them available for both boys and girls!

5. Soffe Shorts

soccer.epicsports.com

Originally designed for cheerleading, Soffe shorts were made to match any team color. Middle school girls took full advantage of these shorts because they could match with any color shirt, and they were also super comfy with their stretchy elastic waste band. In addition, it was helpful that the waste could be rolled to a desired length (except when girls rolled them too short).

6. Camis

babycenter.com

For some reason, camisoles were a must under any type of tank top. The more colorful straps you had on your shoulders, the more put together your outfit was. Everyone loved the fact that camis had a built-in bra (the perfect two-for-one)!

7. Light wash flared jeans

pinterest.com

Tight on the thighs and flared out on the calves, these Hollister or Abercrombie brand light-wash jean were a major trend. They were paired with the shell-toed Adidas sneaker for a sporty-boho look. Add a tight labeled tee with the combo, and have an outfit you can strut down the middle school hallways in.

As fashions change, the memories of our favorite clothes will last forever. I will always remember all the experiences I had while wearing my Juicy Couture sweatshirt, flared jeans, and Adidas sneakers. At the time, these clothes were worn by the majority of middle school girls. Who knows, maybe we will look back on the clothes we are wearing now and think of them as ridiculous too.