Flash Fiction: Plane Tickets

Flash Fiction: Plane Tickets

A race against time and a battle within a mind.

157
Flash Fiction: Plane Tickets
Watermill

In fairytales, there is always the same deadline: before the sun sets on the last day. The prince must kiss the princess by then. The knight must slay the dragon by then. Only at that time will the curse be lifted.

I don’t know when the last day is, but say, for the sake of time, it is tomorrow.

If the last day is tomorrow, you should already be on your way. You would have purchased your plane ticket exactly six weeks ago because

1. You always plan ahead and

2. You know when the best deals are.

Right now, you are cozied up in seat 19A, reading the latest issue of The New Yorker, which you purchased at the CNBC SmartShop before arriving at your gate. You’re a bookworm in that way, and you always prefer paper over screen.

Now, the flight attendant is parking her trolley next to your aisle and asking for your drink order. You ask politely for an ice water because

1. You know that drinking soda causes cavities and you care about your hygiene and

2. The carbonation will cause your insides to bubble right out of you since you are already fizzed with excitement to see me.

If the last day is tomorrow, then right at this second, your seatmate, an elderly woman sporting a fuzzy bubblegum pink sweater, is asking, “so what brings you to New York, my dear?” You are proceeding to tell her, in a nutshell, “the love of my life was cursed by the evil witch and I must find her in the city and kiss her before the sun sets tomorrow, so that we can bask in our love for each other for the rest of our lives.” After a slight pause, you add, “and what about you?” because

1. You hate talking about only yourself and

2. You have a certain soft spot for little old ladies, seeing as you have always been a ‘Grandma’s boy.’

If tomorrow is the last day, the pilot’s voice is now on the loud speaker. “We are preparing for descent. Thank you for flying with United Airlines today.”

At these words, your stomach starts to churn. You are nervous, but in a cute way. Like an innocent young boy on the first day of school. You picture my face and your worries disappear. You know that we are meant for each other. You know that you will get to me in time.

It is time to disembark.

You choose to take a taxi because

1. You know it is the fastest method and

2. The cost is worth the extra minutes with me.

If the last day is tomorrow, your taxi will be dropping you off at my building in exactly 59 minutes.

42 minutes.

10 minutes.

Now.

Where are you?

I guess you must have missed your flight.