Fix Your S#!t: A Rant About Ohio's Weather Patterns

Why Ohio weather gives me headaches.

55
wearandtear110.blogspot.com

Okay. I've lived in Ohio my entire life. You would think that I would be used to the constant weather fluctuations this state likes to throw our way.

Sadly, this is not at all the case.

Over the course of the last month, it has gone from freezing temperatures cold enough to freeze snow to the ground all the way to temperatures that then melt that snow, thus causing minor flooding in some areas. In the last week alone, I have experienced weather that could be considered an extremely early spring and weather where I need a hat and gloves in order to function properly.

Now, given that I have lived in Ohio my entire life, I may not be the best judge of this, but I would assume that, typically, the weather stays consistent within a season, staying the same general temperature and temperament until the seasons change. For example, in winter, it would snow occasionally, staying below 45 degrees the majority of the time, and just being generally cold and icy. Here in Ohio, this does not seem to be the case, as within the next week, we should be experiencing weather ranging from rainy to cloudy to wintry mix, temperatures anywhere between 60 degrees and 30, and just a general feeling of nature going bat-shit crazy.

There are a number of reasons that this type of weather can go from inconvenient to annoying really quickly. A minor inconvenience is having to layer so that, when it inevitably either warms up or cools down over the course of the day, you don't have to suffer from being too hot or too cold. A major annoyance is when you have to pack all of those clothes, bring them with you to college, and find a place to store them so you can dress appropriately. A minor inconvenience is buying salt for your driveway only to not need it once you have it. A major annoyance is trying to pick your way across that driveway through the resulting slush and grime. A minor inconvenience is having a slightly runny nose when it gets warmer outside. A major annoyance is getting a full-on head cold whenever the weather changes drastically.

You see where I'm going with this?

Generally, Ohio does experience all four seasons, keeps the weather and temperature pretty moderate, and doesn't completely screw everyone over with natural disasters. But it does have some loose definitions of when all of this happens. Sometimes, it all happens in the same day. It could be blustery winter in the early morning, swampy spring by 10 a.m., sweltering summer in the afternoon, and cool fall by the evening.

But I guess it isn't so bad. After all, it keeps us on our toes.