Five Unfreightening Movies to Watch on Halloween

I'm not afraid.

34
Alchetron

Now that it’s October, Halloween will be here before you know it. There’s so many places for people to go on this spooky October night: haunted attractions, out trick-or-treating, and to the many Halloween parties that people throw. Sometimes though, it could be fun to just stay in and watch Halloween related movies.

When most people think of movies to watch on Halloween they might think of horror and thriller movies full of ghosts, exorcisms, and jump-scares, but some people just aren’t into these things. If you’re not into the horror and the spooks, here are some movies you can still enjoy on Halloween.

1. Hocus Pocus

Many people would consider this 1993 Disney movie to be a must watch Halloween movie. Max and his family have recently moved to Salem, Massachusetts from California. While taking his little sister trick-or-treating, they bump into Max’s crush, Allison and the three go to museum where Max accidentally releases the Sanderson sisters, a group of witches who lived over 300 years ago. With a cast of great actors such as Bette Midler and Sarah Jessica Parker, the movie has singing, a talking cat, and a lot of bizarre and laughable situations.

2. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

A 1966 Peanuts special, and the second Peanuts holiday special after A Charlie Brown Christmas, join Charlie Brown, Sally, Lucy, Linus, Snoopy, and the rest of the gang as they prepare for the Halloween festivities.

Despite all the ridicule he gets from the other children, Linus believes that someone called the Great Pumpkin exists and will rise from the local pumpkin patch on Halloween night and deliver presents to all the children. Instead of joining all the others for trick-or-treating or a Halloween party, he would rather sit in the pumpkin patch and wait. Do you believe in the Great Pumpkin?

3. The Nightmare Before Christmas

This 1993 visually stunning Tim Burton stop-motion movie is a dark and comical musical adventure. When Jack Skellington, a resident of “Halloween Town” stumbles upon a portal to “Christmas Town” he becomes obsessed with Christmas and decides to celebrate it in “Halloween Town” despite the warnings from his friend, a rag doll named Sally. How disastrous will the consequences of Jack’s plan be?

4. Casper

Everyone’s favorite “friendly ghost” came to the big screen in 1995. When Carrigan Crittenden, a spoiled and neurotic heiress is left an old manor by her father, she and her attorney discover that there is allegedly a treasure hidden somewhere in the manor; only there’s one problem. Not only is Casper still occupying the manor, his three obnoxious uncles, the Ghostly Trio, are as well. After seeing a news report about paranormal psychologist, James Harvey, Casper is immediately smitten with his daughter Kat, and inspires Carrigan to seek out the doctor’s help. When the doctor and his daughter move into the mansion, Casper takes time to befriend Kat, while the Ghostly Trio does everything in their power to be a nuisance to Dr. Harvey. This comical ghostly story is laughable, heart-warming, and fun for the whole family.

5. The Rocky Horror Picture Show

This 1975 musical comedy horror film has become a cult classic. When Brad Majors and his fiancé Janet Weiss find themselves lost and with a flat tire on a cold rainy night, they seek a phone in a nearby castle where strange and outlandish people are holding an Annual Transylvanian Convention. It is here that they meet Dr. Frank N. Furter a “sweet transvestite from Transsexual, Transylvania,” along with his handyman Riff Raff, his sister Magenta, and a groupie named Colombia, and are immediately swept into a world of singing, dancing, and mayhem. It is here they meet Frank’s creation, Rocky, reconnect with an old friend, and learn just what the Transylvanians are actually up to. Let’s do the Time Warp and enjoy this movie on Halloween.

Remember, just because Halloween is filled with, ghosts, zombies, vampire, and ghouls doesn’t mean it can’t be funny and enjoyable too. If you’re not into being scared, then these movies are only a few good examples of some that give you all the fun of the creatures of the night and the holiday without the screams and the horror.