Five Things You Shouldn't Do As A PNM

Five Things You Shouldn't Do As A PNM

26

So you're thinking about going Greek? Sorority Recruitment can be an exciting time in a young woman’s life. She gets to meet all these new people and has the chance to really connect with other women who could potentially be her new sisters. However, there are a few things that experienced recruiters would advise a Potential New Member NOT to do as she goes through the Recruitment process.

1. Choose a chapter based on their name.

“Oh, your name is Sarah? We don’t let Sarahs in our chapter. Sorry,” said no sorority woman ever. We don’t choose our members based on their names, so you shouldn’t choose us based on ours. What you should do is consider how your personal values line up with the chapters you get to experience. By doing so, you won’t be stuck feeling like you made a huge mistake down the road.

2. Lie about your past/experiences.

Recruiters may only have a few minutes to spend with you, but I can say from experience that we truly want to get to know you. Being a disaffiliated member taught me that genuine interest in someone and their experiences goes a long way. By being honest with the person you are talking to and honestly trying to make a connection, you could either gain that person as your new sister or as a new friend if you decide to go in another direction.

3. Speak negatively about a chapter to a different chapter.

As much as we love our letters, we never want to hear you bash another chapter. It’s a common misconception that trash talking a chapter in front of a different one gets you a long way. That’s just for the movies, ladies. We’re all Greek women, and at the end of the day, we all want to grow through the recruitment process. They may not share our letters, but they are our Greek sisters forever.

4. Join for booze or boys.

Joining a chapter based on the party scene and selection of boys will be one of the biggest mistakes you will have ever made, if you make that decision. Booze and boys are both way too short lived. What lasts longer is the connections you make with women who are confident, intelligent, and respectable. You get out of the experience exactly what you put in.

5. Change who you are because you think you’ll be a better match.

Changing who you are goes against nearly every chapter goal there is. We aren’t trying to change you into this plastic Barbie doll who has perfect grades or a near perfect physique. Our goal as Greek Organizations is to mold you in a better version of the woman you already are. We want you to succeed in ways that you feel passionate about. We are along for your ride. Come as you are and grow with us!

You may be nervous to go through but so are we. We are so excited to meet you and share our Greek experiences with you. Being chosen as the VP of Recruitment for my college Panhellenic Council taught me that being Greek-minded is more important than anything when approaching a recruitment situation. As stressful and emotional as Sorority Recruitment may be on both the PNM and Chapter sides, it is one of the most rewarding experiences. Remember, be who you are, make genuine connections, and GO GREEK!