Five Things I Wish I Knew At 18

Five Things I Wish I Knew At 18

6
Five Things I Wish I Knew At 18

With my birthday just passing a few weeks ago, I'm now exiting my teenage years and I'm finally entering my 'roaring' twenties. If I could go back to just two years ago and speak to my 18-year-old self, there are some words of advice that I wish I had known.

1. Your parents are really your best friends.

You will meet many new friends as you transition from high school to college, as well as lose some old friends, but your parents will remain your truest friends throughout every stage of your life. Always showing them how you much you are thankful and appreciative is an important part of growing up.

2. LEARN TO STUDY!

Just because in high school you never had to and were still able to pass that biology exam with flying colors, definitely does not mean you can do so in college. College is what you make of it, and by not studying and actually learning the material you're taught in classes, you are only hurting yourself in the long run. Trust me.

3. With that being said, don't over study.

What I mean by this is that your A+ on every exam is not going to tuck you in at night, or be the best memory to tell your future kids. Learn to live a little while you are still young. You have your whole life ahead of you. Leave the major worries for later.

4. Learn to be mindful.

Learn to live in the present, NOT on Instagram. I think very often we are sucked into the media without even realizing it. I've often found myself going places just to take a picture to show other people that I've went somewhere. This IS NOT living. You should just go places to see other things, meet other people, and to live your own life; don't worry about what others are doing.

5. Don't regret anything.

Though I could possibly go on forever about lessons I wish I knew at 18, my fifth lesson would be the fact that I didn't know these things and I don't regret it. Live with no regrets, but live knowing at the end of the day you are making yourself happy.