5 Things All College Students Are Particularly Thankful For

We can all agree that it is easy to lose sight of the true meaning of the holidays. With the holidays and my first homecoming rapidly approaching, I've realized that I have a few new things to be thankful for.

8
Unsplash

1. A Full Fridge

An absolute necessity when you first get home is having a meal you haven’t had in a while, whether that’s your favorite burger, bagel, or dessert. I’m sure you’re thinking about your beloved meal right now. I never thought I would be as grateful as I am for a full fridge. After having to search for food when hungry, it's pure joy to have anything you could ever crave at your fingertips. Being able to go into my fridge early in the morning or late at night is a convenience that I will never take for granted again.

2. Water Pressure

This first shower I took at home had me wondering if my parents had done something to the water pressure, when in reality, I had just gotten used to soft-pressured college showers. Without a doubt, I have felt spoiled, to say the least. Dealing with the inconsistent temperature and pressure of college showers has made me appreciate the luxury of stepping into a strong, hot shower – and having it all to myself.

3. Relaxation

It seems like every weekend is a big weekend at college, packed with events, studying and non-stop action. Returning home was the first time that I’ve had to take a break and breathe in the silence, away from my exhausting schedule. Returning to the sanctity of my bedroom and closing the door behind me is absolute bliss. There is nothing better than sinking into my bed and sprawling out in something larger than a twin.

4. Free Feet

In college, I constantly find myself wearing shoes… EVERYWHERE. Even in the shower. At home, I’m thankful for being able to walk barefoot throughout my home. Prior to college, I completely took this freedom for granted, but now that I am home, I realize just how nice it feels to be barefoot in the comfort of your home.

5. Friendship

The most important things I am thankful for are my strong relationships with the people in my life. I’m lucky to say that I’ve been extremely close with my family. They have definitely helped to mold me into the person I am today, but being away has made me realize just how important they are to me. Additionally, I have known my friends my entire life. Some starting from the day I was born, through elementary school, even through those extremely awkward middle school years, and then finally up to the good old days of high school, where it all came together. Thanks to social media, House Party, and endless texts, I have stayed in contact with my best friends and realized the bonds we have will never be broken.

Many of the things you are accustomed to in your day-to-day life can seem insignificant and go unnoticed, but returning home has made me thankful for the things I once took for granted. So, this holiday season, remember to give thanks for even the smallest things in life.