Five Reasons Why You Should Travel Solo

Five Reasons Why You Should Travel Solo

Adventure is out there.

3
Five Reasons Why You Should Travel Solo
Hannah Cross

Traveling is one of my favorite things to do. I love experiencing other cultures and exploring new places. Although I love to travel with others, I especially love to travel alone. Here are my five reasons why you should travel solo.

1. It's less hassle compared to being with a group.

By traveling alone, you get to go at your own pace. I remember traveling in groups and feeling like I had to be rushed everywhere, having to follow a set schedule and not getting to explore on my own. Without being in a group, you don’t have to make sure everyone is all together or wait around for someone. Also, it goes a lot faster through immigration and customs!

2. You will gain confidence with independence.

I’m an only child, so I’ve always had a sense of independence; but I never had the chance to travel alone. When I finally had the chance, it felt great. I love having some sort of responsibility with keeping my passport and tickets together.

3. You'll be more open to meeting new people.

When you travel alone, you’ll have more opportunities to meet new people, both native and just travelers. The world is so big at times that it feels like you are a tiny spec on the face of the earth. However, by talking to the people around you -- with caution of course -- you’ll realize how small our world actually is.

On my way back from Belize City to Atlanta one time, I sat next to a couple who were from Omaha. When I told them I was from Iowa, they were so excited to be talking to another person from the Midwest. Another time when I was climbing a Mayan ruin, a couple saw me wearing a shirt with the state of Iowa on it and they told me they were from Iowa as well.

I love getting to talk to natives/locals and hearing about their views on the world. It’s very eye opening and I learn more about myself through them. I’m so thankful to have established relationships with people in different countries. I know I’ll have a place to stay when I visit!

4. It's a different sense of adventure.

I love getting to explore new things by myself and experiencing it first hand. It is definitely addicting and you’ll catch the travel bug.

5. Discovering yourself.

The most important reason, in my opinion, is you’ll be able to discover yourself. Whether you’re in the airplane or exploring around, you’ll have plenty of time to reflect. You will learn about the world around you and how you fit in.

I recommend taking a notebook or journal to jot down feelings or things you have noticed while traveling alone. When you travel by yourself, you separate from the hustle and bustle of your own world. I remember sitting outside in a hammock, under a palm tree and just listening to the birds. Traveling alone makes you happier, more peaceful, and more knowledgable.