Five Reasons Why Tattoos Are So Addicting

An insight into the ink itch all tattooed people seem to get all the time.

978
12 Tattoos and Body Prercings, CT

We see them every day, beautiful pieces of ink displayed magnificently on bodies. But why is sitting in a chair for extended periods of time and getting stabbed by a needle over and over again so addicting? Here are some of the reasons I’ve gathered through talking to friends and family who have several tattoos, and through my own tattoo experiences:

1. They are a form of self-expression.

Tattoos are pieces of artwork that people chose to have put on their bodies forever. They allow people to present a truer form of themselves and express themselves in a non-traditional way. The tattoos don’t necessarily need to have a deep meaning or be extravagant because they are for the person who is presenting them on their flesh. You can learn a lot about someone through their ink.

2. Tattoos can be healing.

Some people get tattoos in order to provide closure or to honor someone or something, and in turn, tattoos can be very healing. Personally, the tattoo I got in memoriam of my deceased grandma, also stood as a symbol for all those family members and friends who I’ve lost over the years. It provided some kind of healing and closure for me and serves as a constant symbol that I always have them with me. What’s more powerful than that?

3. You get a small sense of accomplishment with each tattoo.

Tattoos hurt. Period. Some of them more than others and in some places more than others. It all depends on the person. But nothing beats the feeling of getting out of that chair after getting poked with needles for several hours and seeing the beautiful result of your endurance. My tattoo is a large water color thigh piece that took three hours to complete. I wanted to get it all done in one shot and the little self-triumph I felt when it was all over was legendary. I felt like I had conquered something that I couldn't quite figure out, but it was an amazing feeling nonetheless.

4. The adrenaline rush is unexplainable.

For some people, tattoos provide a sort of euphoric rush. The feeling of waiting in that chair and getting new ink is incredible. It feels like you’re on the top of a roller coaster and it’s starting to inch slowly down until the brakes are released and WHAM - there’s no turning back. It’s the same way with getting a tattoo. I had so much extra adrenaline pumping that I decided to get my nose pierced right after. It’s a beautiful thing honestly.

5. They’re badass.

So, unfortunately, there is still a poor stigma surrounding tattoos. While society has grown to accept them, not everyone likes them and that’s okay. But to so many people, including myself, tattoos are totally badass and hot. They give an edge and a rocker vibe to everyone who has them, and it’s almost like having a mini confidence boost. Who doesn’t want to be a little rockin' all the time? I love showing off my tattoos and talking about them and planning out my next few - or many more to come.