5 Questions Artists Are Tired Of Hearing

There are many questions artists are tired are hearing, but here are a few.

38
Eileen Vidal

Back in high school, I surrounded myself with art majors and aspiring artists. I never understood how much work went into art until I wandered into a random classroom that my friend was in. I took a look at Adobe Illustrator for one second and I was absolutely lost. I didn't understand all the layers, all the fonts, all the colors. It was as if I entered another realm.

People constantly disregard artists and art, never fully realizing how much time and effort is put into an art piece and how much energy an artist puts into their work. Artists are constantly asked a lot of questions in regards to their craft. Most are the same questions being asked over and over again with different wording, and most artists are sick of hearing it.

I asked my friends what were some of the most common questions they were tired of hearing, and they graced me with five incredible answers. Since artists and their art are constantly put on the back burner, I decided to bring some light to the questions that give them nothing but headaches.
So here are five questions artists are tired of being asked:

1. “Can you draw me something? Can you do it for free? It’ll give you exposure!”

No, no, and hell no. When have you heard of anyone ever doing something for free? Does Beyonce do free concerts? Do teachers teach for free? Do tutors tutor their tutee for free? No one does anything for free unless they’re volunteering. Artist use their pens, their markers, their paint, their tablets, their paper, their time, and their energy to create art pieces. Do you think all those supplies are cheap? I bought my best friend some art supplies for her birthday, and no, they're definitely not cheap at all. They sit at their desks, hunched over for hours, contemplating the colors and style of what they’re going to draw. Their work is not labor free, and no, they will not just draw you something simply because you asked, and they definitely will not do it for free for “exposure.” Oh, and "but aren't we friends" is definitely not a get out of jail free card. Just because you're friends doesn't mean that they're entitled to draw anything for you. At all. Not even a stick figure. Sit down.

2. "Can you draw my tattoo?”

Some artists don’t mind being asked to design a tattoo, but some will also decline. Each artist has a different style and a different way they produce their art work. Some are graphic design artists, some are animators, some are comic book artists. However, just because they are an artist does not mean they are a tattoo artists. Not all art equals tattoo art. The difference between artists and tattoo artists is the fact that:

a. A tattoo artist must take an apprenticeship before becoming a tattoo artists, meaning not every artist is fit to be a tattoo artist.
b. A tattoo artist knows what looks best on a person’s skin.

Tattoo artists take the time to learn from other tattoo artists to learn the craft. Tattoo artists are the best people to ask to help design a tattoo; they spent years learning what looks the best on a person’s skin so just trust them

3. "Can you draw me?”

Sure, for a price. Artists aren’t going to sit there and draw you just because you want them to, especially for free, and especially if you’re begging them to. If an artist wants to draw you, they will ask you to be a model for them, or they will draw you on their own free time. Don’t bug an artist to draw you just because you guys are friends. That’s like bugging a singer to sing for you all the time just because you’re both friends, or bugging someone to write something for you because they’re a good writer. No one likes to be bugged.

4. “Do you want to do a collab?”

“By collab, do you mean we will both put in work or I’ll do all the work while you attach your name on the side?”

Unless you are going to put in your work, you’d best not ask an artist to do a collab with you. Collabs are very tricky, and most artist tend to stray away from them because they fear not getting anything back from the artist that asked for the collab, or they are being used for the following they have. If you ask an artist for a collab, make sure you are ready to commit and put in the same amount of effort they’ll be putting in.

5. "Do you plan on doing this ‘art’ thing as a career?”

Why else would they continue to draw, build their portfolio, and take part in freelance jobs that will push them forward in the art world? Yes, they strive to earn a living with the craft they love. Isn’t it everyone’s dream to make a living while doing what they love? Artists are no different. The path may be harder, but if you take the time to stop bashing artist and expecting them to create art for free, then maybe they would reach their goal smoother.

Art is a business. Art is a craft. Art is professional. Don’t treat artists as “starving artists.” Stop undermining the arts and the artists that are a part of the art world. Treat them as creators. Treat them with respect and support their work. Commission artists, and don’t expect their work to be free. Everyone loves art, but in order to keep artists and art around you should make sure to treat them as professionals, doing a job for you. Got it? Awesome!