The Five Most Anticipated Movies: Summer 2017

A subjective list of the five most anticipated movies for this summer.

17
IMDb

Out with the season of potential Oscar winners, and in with the summer blockbusters. With the Oscars just around the corner, it is time to review the most anticipated movies of the summer season! Each of these films are expected to do well in the box office, and may or may not receive critical acclaim. Regardless of critics and box office numbers, each of the following films promise an entertaining experience. Without further ado, and in no particular order, here are what I believe to be the most anticipated films of the summer.

1.Loganis the latest installment to story of Wolverine in the X-Men franchise. Very likely for the last time, this film stars Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. Along with Jackman, Patrick Stewart returns in his role of Professor X. Both characters appear to be older, and more worn down. In addition to these familiar faces comes a newer character. For those who have read the comics, this new addition to the X-Men franchise is very exciting indeed. Dafne Keen joins the cast as Laura Kinney, more popularly known as X-23. Logan appears to be an action packed thriller. It has followed the example of Deadpool, and has shed the PG-13 rating to become a rated R film. By removing the censorship which accompanies PG-13, it is very likely this film will explore a darker side of Wolverine and has also opened many doors for X-23's grand entrance. As previously stated, this will very likely be Jackman's final portrayal of Wolverine. In an interview with the New York Times he is adamant on this being his final portrayal, but promises a film that tells the story of a fallen hero who is attempting to escape the past to find peace. Logan appears to be starkly different from previous X-Men films, and is sure to be a pure thrill. Logan is set to release on March 3, 2017.

2. Beauty and the Beast has to be one of the most anticipated films among college students. Lately, Walt Disney Studios has focused on transforming classic animated films into live-action masterpieces. Beauty and the Beast sports a superb cast starring Emma Watson, Dan Stevens, Luke Evans, Ewan McGregor, and Sir Ian McKellen. This film promises to be filled with nostalgia, because Disney has reassured fans that it will recreate the classic songs from the original film. Each trailer released has seemed to solidify this promise, considering each trailer has been almost completely identical to the original trailers. On a more personal note, casting Emma Watson as Belle had to be the smartest decision on this whole project. Watson truly does embody Belle in every fabric of her being, and it will be a joy to see this character become real on the big screen. Beauty and the Beast promises to respect its predecessor while continuing to subtly modernizing a Disney classic. As the slogan goes for this highly anticipated release "Be our guest" on March 17, 2017 at a theater near you.

3. Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 continues the adventure of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy. This films predecessor was cited as a great risk, but turned out to be a big hit. Guardians of the Galaxy was full of comedic charm, but also still managed to have an immersive, intricate plot. These are all thoughts that the first Guardians left with audience members upon leaving the theater. These are the same thoughts that are to be expected of its sequel. This film is projected to focus more on the teams journey as they seek to discover Peter Quill's true parentage. Once again, this movie is directed by James Gunn. This implies Volume 2 will be just as comical and adventurous as the first. One of the most anticipated aspects of this sequel actually lies in the soundtrack itself. The first Guardians had a superb soundtrack that payed homage to classic singles, and each song actually fit nicely into the narrative of the film itself. Essentially, many fans are curious as to the content of Mix-tape Vol. 2, and how those songs will be written into the plot of the newer film. Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 will return with the same cast, starring Chris Pratt, Vin Diesel, Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper, and Dave Bautista. Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 is set to blast into theaters on May 5, 2017.

4. Ridley Scott returns, yet again, with another installment to the Alien franchise. Alien: Covenant follows the crew of a colony ship as they explore what seems to be an unknown paradise. In reality, the trailers speak for themselves in reference to Covenant. This movie is expected to be filled a great deal of blood, gore, and violence. All of this is supposed to combine to create a thrilling, edge-of-your-seat experience. In reality, it is unlikely that Covenant will achieve the glory of its predecessors (Alien and Aliens), but it is sure to fulfill its promise of providing a suspenseful ride. This film stars Michael Fassbender, James Franco, Guy Pierce, Katherine Waterston, and Noomie Rapace. Alien: Covenant is set to release on May 19, 2017.

5.Spider-Man: Homecoming is set to take place immediately following the events of Captain America: Civil War. This film will focus on fully introducing Tom Holland as the new and improved web-slinger. Homecoming will focus on Peter Parker as he learns to adjust to his new life as a superhero. Much excitement has surrounded the release of this film, for longtime fans are anxious to finally see Spider-Man as he was intended to be: a poor, highly intelligent and witty teenager with a knack for catching bad guys in his web. After two other portrayals of the human spider, Marvel fans appeared to fall in love with Holland's portrayal in Civil War. Homecoming's cast consists of Tom Holland, Robert Downey Jr., Marisa Tomei (Aunt May appears to get younger and younger with each portrayal), Michael Keaton, and Zendaya. The new and improved Spider-Man is set to spin his web on July 7, 2017.