Five LGBTQA+ Shows You Need To Watch

Five LGBTQA+ Shows You Need To Watch

I cried. I just need you to know that right away.

25
Five LGBTQA+ Shows You Need To Watch
Hollywood On

Looking for a good Friday night movie? Hoping to binge watch a new series?

Look no further, here are five LGBTQA+ Movies and TV shows you need to see:

1. Movie: "The Way He Looks"

A classic foreign film, "The Way He Looks" was originally filmed in Portuguese with English subtitles. I discovered this movie thanks to Tumble-and highly recommend it for multiple reasons: The first and most important is that the lead, Ghilherme Lobo, portrays Leonardo, a teenage boy who is blind. The film follows Leonardo through his daily routines, and Lobo does an excellent job in the role. Furthermore, the film covers Leonardo's realization that he has feelings for one of his classmates and therefore identifies as a gay man. Disabled representation of the LGBTQA+ community is far and hard to come by, and this film does an excellent job of representing both.

2. TV Show: "Orphan Black"

While primarily a sci-fi drama focused on the effects of cloning on the individual and their clones-"Orphan Black" covers a diverse field of identities. The show confronts the ethical and moral concerns of those involved in cloning, but also provides an argument into the identities of the clones and those around them. The show includes characters of bisexual and gay orientation, along with transgender representation. While the show does delve into the darker side of humanity, the excellent representation is inspiring and makes one hopeful for future television series with a wide range of LGBTQA+ members.

3. Movie: "The Four-Faced Liar"

"The Four-Faced Liar" is a brilliant rom-com that has you in tears from start to end. The four main characters are each in different relationship statuses, single, boyfriend-girlfriend etc. and the movie follows the characters as their friendships turn into benefits, and relationships come to an end. I have a personal affinity for "Th Four-Faced Liar" because of the simple portrayal of the lesbian relationship. There are few overbearing stereotypes (which is far too common in romcoms attempting to have a diverse cast of LGBTQA+ members). However, if you're looking for racial diversity, seek elsewhere-because humor can only carry so far with a predominantly white cast.

4. TV Show "Faking It"

Perhaps a step down from Glee, with a much less diverse cast, "Faking It" brings to light the difficulties of non-reciprocated love interests, the desire for high school popularity, and the struggle for an understanding of one's self-identity. I appreciate Faking it for its hilarious take on an overly complicated love triangle, and for their representation of Bisexual members of the LGBTQA+ community.

5. Movie "Pride"

I cried. I just need you to know that right away. Second of all, its been brought to my attention that as a member of the newer generations of the LGBTQA+ community, I know very little about the history of our community. An example would be the AIDS crisis that for years held a misnomer claiming that the gays were specifically at fault for the disease. Back to the movie-I was inspired, I was educated, and I cheered for them to win. With beautiful European representation of the early LGBTQA+ community, and how they helped shape politics concerning unions in England. The movie addresses the different groups of the LGBTQA+ community coming together to help others in need. "Pride" addresses acceptance, but also shows the reality of the unaccepted, and shares their stories of finding their place in the world.

These movies have shown me so much in terms of being an ally, and eventually helping me to understand where I identified within this incredible community. However, as is always true-a movie can only explain so much before media and stereotypes come into play. I encourage you to seek out community members and start a conversation, or if you're unsure of how to become involved-there is an incredible organization called, "GLAAD" (Gays and Lesbians Against Deformation) which has thousands of resources pertaining to the entire LGBTQA+ community, how to be an ally, and some important general information about terminology when referring to a member of the community.

Feel free to comment below with other LGBTQA+ resources, or share which movie/TV show you watched and what your general thoughts were!

resources: http://www.glaad.org/