Five Films to look out for during Awards Season

12

With the Awards season and the Oscars fast Approaching I figured that it would be good to highlight Five films that I believed will be contenders come Oscar Sunday.

1. Moonlight- Barry Jenkins film is a wonderful examination of discovering ones sexuality during youth that is getting the most praise out of critics this year. It is probably the front runner for best picture but there are still some contenders that might emerge late in December to challenge it.

2. Hacksaw Ridge- Mel Gibson's war movie might just be one of the most stunning films of its genre ever and with the amount of wonderful acting performances it has its unlikely that this film will be left out come Oscar time.

3. Loving- Jeff Nichols film that documents the battle between Richard and Mildred Loving against the sate of Virginia which set the precedent for Interracial Marriage is primed for nominations particularly due to its incredible acting and contained directing by Nichols.

4. La La Land- Damien Chazelle comes back into the Oscar consideration after his first film Whiplash took home three Awards two years ago. Now he's back with a musical that every critics can't help but rave about. Giving the Academy's love for musicals this film should have a great chance on Oscar Sunday.

5. Arrival- Denis Villeneuve does it again with this alien invasion thriller that really makes one thick about globalization,communication and time. The Academy usually looks down on sci-fi but with the incredible amount of critical acclaim and buzz that it has it's hard to see it being ignored.