'Five Feet Apart' Is So Much More Than Another 'Fault In Our Stars'

'Five Feet Apart' Is So Much More Than Just Another 'Fault In Our Stars'

Spoiler alert: I may or may not give away a thing or two.

3226

I'm not exactly shameful to admit this, but I'm shameful to admit that after 40 minutes into this movie, I did not stop crying until I left the theater and was sitting in my car. And it wasn't all sad tears!

"Five Feet Apart" starring Cole Sprouse and Haley Lu Richardson premiered a few weeks ago, and quite frankly, I still can't stop thinking about it.

Before going into the movie, I can easily see that it's just another one of those movies about a sick teenager who helplessly falls in love with someone he or she undoubtedly can't be with, but nonetheless goes for it anyways. Spoiler alert: that's exactly what it is! But after watching it myself, it turned out to be so much more than that.

Of course, I can see the major similarities between "Five Feet Apart" and other movies like "Everything, Everything" and "The Fault In Our Stars." What left me feeling surprised (and ultimately happy), was that "Five Feet Apart" led such a different lesson than the other two movies (as an example) did.

At the end of it all, the majority of the premise behind "Five Feet Apart" was to be lucky for what you are able to do, and to not feel sorry for what you are able not to do. For someone who doesn't know what the movie is about (and honestly, how did you make it this far into the article without having a clue as to what it's about?), "Five Feet Apart" leads the story of two hospital patients battling cystic fibrosis. In the most shortened version I can give you, CF is a progressive, genetic disease that damages the lungs and digestive system (sickness, ie., "The Fault In Our Stars). While CF patients are not as affected by other "normal" human beings, CF patients are strictly to be apart (six feet to be exact) from other CF patients at all times (separation, ie., "Everything, Everything).

So how does the movie become named "Five Feet Apart" when CF patients are to be SIX feet apart from each other at all times? Well, I just can't give you that information, you'll just have to watch to find out (or just watch the trailer and you'll see).

As said, "Five Feet Apart" follows the idea of being lucky for what you're able to do, more specifically who you're able to touch and feel, without any repercussions, especially the ones you love. Of course, being the movie that it is, the two people that do fall in love are set in paths where they ultimately can't be together.

What's even more inspiring to see, was that this movie, while not based on a true story, was inspired by the story of Claire Wineland. In an interview, Richardson explains how the movie "wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Claire" and her story.

As for seeing what the multiple tears are about, I'll leave that for you to find out! (Seriously, don't forget the tissues when going into this movie as I did).

All in all, this move was touching, inspiring, and gratifying in every single realm of life. It made me feel lucky and powerful in the sense that I've never felt halted or stopped to ever be with or around the people that I love.

Not to mention I fell absolutely in love with both Cole Sprouse and Haley Lu Richardson. If you're looking for a movie that hits all the breaking points, I point you this way.