The Fitbit Life

The Fitbit Life

How addictive are these little devices?

51
The Fitbit Life
Tech Crunch

To the athletes and those always on the go, their Fitbit is their life. They hardly have time for a Netflix binge, and they will do almost anything to get to their 10,000 step goal. Though for those who are not living the Fitbit life, they just do not always understand. I myself, started my Fitbit journey when my doctor needed a way to keep track of my physical activity and calories burned. Being a college kid I just did not have the time to sit down and track everything I did, and thus my Fitbit.

At first I was a little hesitant about Clarice (yes, I named her). Back then the idea of a Fitbit seemed really overrated. I understand the importance of counting steps and calories, however I didn't really get why people got so invested in the device. Then, the badges started rolling in. I got badges for walking up 80 flights of stairs (my first day with both classes, work, and going to the gym), walking over 10,000 steps, working out, etc. It was amazing what I got rewarded for!! My everyday activities were given recognition. Now yes, my body felt very sore. However it was worth it if it meant more achievements were unlocked.

As a result, I got slightly addicted. My Fitbit life struggle is real, and sitting down in an hour and a half class certainly does not help. I always want to walk, move, and do anything to get my steps in/ calories burnt. Clarice has encouraged me to go the gym more (almost every day), go for a run, takes the stairs instead of the elevator, etc. For me, the Fitbit is a lifesaver. So okay, maybe I am a little addicted. Though it is worth it.

Now yes, addictions are usually not good. Normally they are soul- sucking, black holes, of complete darkness. When it comes to Fitbits, the same comparison could be made at times. Like waking up early before an 8 am class to run a couple of miles to make up sitting in class for hours without movement. Or on the flip side, staying up super late to get those last couple of steps in before sleep. It is slightly ironic that a device that is supposed to be used for health can actually be a slavery band to hell. I know that personally I will do anything to make sure I get all of my steps in, no matter the cost. It is also ironic because people are constantly harping on being active, however what happens when a person is too active? Are we really so obsessed with working out that we occasionally forget to veg out?

In my eyes, the answer appears to be yes. I see it on campus all the time when the non-athletes practically live at the gym or when some girls are so obsessed with working out for weight control that they count every single calorie they eat during the day. I would also like to note, that the Fitbit does not help this addiction. With wanting to meet every goal, many people are pushing themselves to the extremes. Some people are trying to bike 3 or 4 miles when they haven't even biked one mile in their life. So the Fitbit might help people be more active, however be aware of the addiction. These physical routines take time to build up to and I would not recommend going off the deep end too fast. Work with a friend, or a trainer. Do your research, Don't let the Fitbit craze mess with your head, because healthy activities can sometimes lead to dangerous games. So for once, go on that Netflix Binge without regrets. At the end of the day, balance is the key.